I have a dog who has been my baby for almost a year, I am pregnate with my first child & I want to know how to get my dog used to not being the center of attention?

tuckswife

Asked by tuckswife at 7:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Pets

• I feel your pain. My dog is spoiled. She sleeps with us. She reserves the recliner for herself. She is the princess around here.
    mommytoangel407

Answer by mommytoangel407 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My dog is spoiled too. But even when my daughter was born I still spoiled my dog the same way! I gave him some extra time, went for long walks with him without the baby (had daddy watch the baby) and of course he is still sleeping in the bed and sitting on the couch!
    Just give your dog enough attention and don't take his privileges that he has right now from him!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 7:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• make sure to spend some quality time playing with her.
    Dogs remember smells. Before the baby comes, let your dog smell a tube of diaper rash cream, a diaper, a baby outfit.
    When you bring the baby home from the hospital, have somebody bring over a hospital blanket your baby used to let the dogs smell it. That way, when your baby comes home, they will remember the smell of the baby and it will be easier to help them adjust.
    That worked really well with our dogs when we brought our son home.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 11:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Instead of teaching your dog that he is not the center of attention, you need to teach your dog that it is a dog and you are the master. Once this is established, the dog will be more relaxed and submissive when the baby arrives, and easier to have in the house.

Just a warning: if your dog is spoiled, this might sound harsh =)

Things that reinforce that your dog is a dog:
    -Not sleeping in bed with you. Get the dog its own bed or crate and teach it to sleep there.
    -Not being allowed up on furniture. If the dog is on the floor and you are on the couch, the dog will recognize that you are alpha.
    -Enforcing that your dog heel on the leash during walks at all times. I highly suggest an obedience class even if your dog has no apparent behavior problems; it will reiterate that you are master.
    -Not always touching the dog. It is okay to have your dog sit next to you without being pet. (cont)
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 12:01 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• (cont)
    Practice having your dog nearby while you read/watch TV, but do not pet the dog. The dog needs to learn (and will learn) that it is okay to not always have physical attention. It will be great to have a dog that is content to sit at your feet once you have a baby and your hands become very full!

Again, I HIGHLY recommend an obedience class.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 12:02 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• pregNANT. not preg-nate.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 7:03 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We use the same tactic with the baby as we did when we adopted our dog as puppy. Prior to bringing home our puppy we gave the breeder a stuffed toy for the dog to keep in the kennel. By the time she left the kennel the toy smelled like her littermates and she was able to transition easily.

My husband and I sent a blanket home with my in-laws from the hospital before we brought my son home. Our mini-schnauzer was familiar with his scent by the time we got home. The dog was very jealous and wouldn't pay any attention to him at first but now she is a protective mama like me. The dog (age 4) and my son (age 3) are best friends. She even sleeps with him now that he is in a toddler bed.
    StacyD831

Answer by StacyD831 at 9:31 AM on Aug. 27, 2009