Grandparents rights.......

My mom has been calling me, hassling me about my daughters well being and telling me how I didn't watch her or care for her because she had caught a cold......

completely neurotic. She kept going on about this for awhile, etc etc. My daughter is fine, I take great care of her.

I told her if she was going to keep this up, that I wasn't going to let her see my daughter anymore, until my mom can cool down, ease up. She told me "Don't threaten me!! I have rights as a grandparent to see her!!!"

Is she right? We live in California. The whole situation is just RIDICULOUS.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope and if she takes you to court she'll have a heck of a fight since your dd isn't being abused.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• She is correct. California DOES have a law. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/08/24/BAG0L8DBLT1.DTL

So. Take her with you to the pediatrician. Tomorrow. The ped will knock some sense into her.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• CALIFORNIA: Conditions for grandparent visitation rights include a determination of whether a parent is deceased, the child's parents are divorced or separated, the whereabouts of one parent is unknown, or the child is not residing with either parent. In addition to determining that visitation is in the child's best interests, the court must find that the grandparents had a preexisting relationship with the grandchild. The court must also balance visitation with the parents' rights. If both parents agree that the court should not grant visitation to the grandchild, the court will presume that visitation is not in the child's best interests. Adoption does not automatically cut off the visitation rights of grandparents. Note that a California Court of Appeals in 2001 ruled the California statute providing grandparental visitation unconstitutional.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 7:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I found that info online for ya
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 7:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• OP : Thanks very much!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• B.S.

Being a grandparent is a privilege, not a right.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 7:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• No state in this country has what are called Grandparents' rights. The only right they have is to treat the parents of their grandchildren with respect. Which means that grandparents need to have (or develop) some very good boundaries. If they continue to threaten and harass their own children about how they care for their grandchildren then they risk alienation and not being part of that child's life they care about. In my case....I did have to stop all contact with my own mother for now. It was not a healthy situation and she screamed at me that I was being abusive to my child.  Apparently putting tubes in a child's ears and going to speech therapy is abusive these days.  Don't ask.  In the end, I have made a promise to myself that I don't do drama at all around my son.  Since grandma was being inappropriate with her word choices and slinging accusations because she was having a difficult time - I said good-bye.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It sucks.. but grandparents DO have rights in a lot of states.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:23 AM on Aug. 27, 2009