Tummy sleeping vs co-sleeping?

Which one is the lesser of the two "evils"?

My daughter refuses to sleep on her back like she's supposed to. She's 1 month old; she screams and fusses when on her back at night and won't sleep.

Thanks!!

eab001

Asked by eab001 at 7:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Co sleeping when safely done is shown to decreased SIDS while tummy sleeping has shown to increase SIDS.

I always co slept with my kids, and never let them sleep on their tummy until they could roll themselves there in the night time.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 8:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I would suggest co-sleeping before putting her on her tummy. However, my son hated his back. I would put him on his tummy until he was SOUND asleep, and then I would flip him. If she really hates her back, she will be flipping herself over early and then you won't have to worry about it!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Let her sleep how she wants. Don’t leave any blanket or pillow around her. As long as she is strong enough to turn her head around I don't see any problem. Good luck
    Proud2bJmom

Answer by Proud2bJmom at 7:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• DON'T DO EITHER!! I can't, at the moment, give you the reasons tummy sleeping is a no no, but co-sleeping is a no no because you can accidentaly roll onto the baby, the baby could roll off the bed, or the baby could get smothered by something on the bed. Talk to your ped about other options. It might just be a phase.
    JuicyJuiceKids

Answer by JuicyJuiceKids at 7:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Co-sleeping is proven safer than tummy sleeping. If you do it right. Google "safe co-sleeping" to see.

But not sleeping is normal for the age! **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 7:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Personally, I chose to let them sleep on their tummies. (all three) They went from sleeping in 10 minute stretches to sleeping for 3 hours at once (3 days old).

I felt it was more important that we were both as rested as we could be, so we could enjoy each others company. They were much happier, much more rested and had a much bigger appetite! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• co-sleepin gor bed sharing? cuz the two are diffrent, co-slepping is the baby in her own are but near your bed. land bed sahring is the baby in the bed. i do both.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Bed sharing then I guess. She likes to sleep on my chest, in my arms, or on her tummy. And thanks for all the advice so far!!
    eab001

Answer by eab001 at 8:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

WRONG THE ONLY CASES OF BABIES DIEING FROM BED SHARING(COSLEPPING) IS WHEN THE ADULT WAS DRUNK OR MEDICATED. MY DD SLEPT IN MY BED FOR 18 MTS AND SHE COMES TO MY BED ALMOST EVERY NITE AND SHE IS STILL ALIVE AND ONCE INA WHILE MY 6 MT OLD COMES TO MY BED. AND YEAH HIS STILL KICKING. PLEASE DONT GIVE OUT THE WRONG INFORMATION
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• my baby HATED sleeping on his back and still does...i think because of gas...i discovered that he was okay when i elevated him...you can roll up a towel and place it under the mattress...i cosleep (i would full time bed share if our bed was bigger)...bed sharing is great, i know several people who do it and love it...
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 8:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2009