Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I comfort my son?

I'm divorced. My sons father moved out almost 8 months ago from our home. My son and I still live in the home we all lived in as a family, but it has since sold and I got a new apartment for myself and my son. Both times I have been in the apartment my son starts sobbing, 'Mommy, Noooo new house' "Nooooo, new room' and holding onto the banister. I calmly tell him this is mommy and joey's new house and he starts crying. Then he makes a grouchie face and walks away from me or begs me to hold him the entire time we are in the apartment.

I understand this is very traumatic, my son is 2 this has been his only home that he has known.

Any suggestions? I'm really at a loss, his crying makes me so upset I couldn't even take the stuff out of the bag I brought into the apartment to decorate or put shelving paper in, I coudln't do anything because of his shrieking. Help:(


Asked by Julieann78 at 7:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • I would decorate it as cheerfully as possible and buy a new toy or something that is only for him in the new house. Make sure you have all his stuffed animals and blankets and things from the old house. Maybe ask him what he would like to do to decorate his room. Give him the power to choose something. Good luck.

    Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

  • I'm so sorry and don't know if I have a suggestion. Is there something favorite of his that he had in his bedroom? You could unpack some of his favrite stuff and put it in the car. Show it to him and see if he will help put it in his new room. Maybe if he gets settled in his room he will be ok with the rest?

    Answer by micheledo at 7:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2009