Serious question. How do some believe in spells, goddesses etc. but say the Hebrew God is imaginary?

This is particularly to wiccans because I know one that is always calling the Hebrew God and his works "made-up," and imaginary, but I also heard her talk about how she does spells and she summons a goddess to aide her, talking as if the goddess actually acted on it. It made me wonder because this person was always trying to prove the Hebrew God and his works wrong by saying it wasn't logical, and because it didn't make sense to the human mind, it was made up. But how does one believe in spells, goddesses etc. if they don't believe in the Hebrew God and his works? I believe both sides are within the spiritual realm and very real.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm pagan myself and have wondered why so many pagans call upon the gods of yesteryear and totally ignore the Christian one. He has his place too! I think it's just the persecution at the hands of the Christians that pagans have endured that has left a bitter taste in our mouths concerning their god.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• They just came to a different conclusion than you, I guess.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Well damn. Who doesn't get persecuted nowdays? lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• For the same reason christians say all other gods/(desses) don't exist. Obviously this person found a diety that does work for her while the Hebrew god does not. If you expect her to acknowledge the hebrew god then logically you should accept that other gods exist. " I contend we are both atheists. I simply believe in one less god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss the possibilty of other gods/goddesses, you will understand why I dismiss yours." Stephen Roberts AKA rochiesmom's college boyfriend.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I am a Wiccan-Witch and I use many different deities in my works... I do focus on a Goddess more so than a God, but the God I will use is not the God version in the Bible tho I am not going to deny that that God does not exist to those whom believe in Him... As with many of the Christian faiths, our Gods/ess are always said to be false by them and there are many of our faith that will say the same about thiers...
    As with the Christian faiths, you are entitled to believe in your God... and we are allowed to believe in our Gods/ess...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• 2autisticsmom, why do you assume that I don't believe it is real? If you read my question again, you will see that isn't the case. Also, I am not asking why they don't follow the Hebrew God, I'm asking why someone would use logic to prove he and his works do not exist, but they themselves believe in something that can't logically be explained also.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Oh well my bad. Long day. See gmasboy's answer.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Ditto to Ati.
    NickyJamesMom

Answer by NickyJamesMom at 8:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I can't help but wonder if this is best posted to the person you are referring to. We can all speculate, but the person this is about would be the one with the answer. Have you sent her a PM?? If it is who I believe it is I promise she won't bite you.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• The same reason most Christians believe in the Hebrew God, yet believe that spells are imaginary.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2009