Have any of you ever had a catscan?

I'm supposed to have one for my migraines. The neurologist I went to didn't recommend it...I insisted, just to rule anything awful out like tumors, or God knows what else...he said my reflexes were good and since I had been having the migraines for 15 yrs. and they seemed to be related to my menstrual cycle, and/or were stress related, he felt the catscan was unnecessary. I did some research last night and found out that one brain catscan is equal to 4-8 months of background radiation...the kind of radiation that we are exposed to on a daily basis, I'm thinkin of baggin the whole thing 'cause that just doesn't sound good. What do you think I should do?

chocolatluver

Asked by chocolatluver at 8:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Health

• I wouldnt do it unless you absolutely had to. I am only 28 and ended up getting cancer. I have had to take radiation and I have to have a body scan done once a year. I have had a cat scan a mri and countless xrays. All that radiation does add up. I wouldnt expose myself anymore than I had too.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Do it! Just for your peace of mind!
    I had catscans before (too long story to tell) and you're gonna be ok! It's not bad.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 8:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I had two in one day, looking at my pancreas and kidney. One was with ingest-able barium, one with iv contrast. My husband has had them on his lungs with iv contrast, and my four year old had one (without contrast). They're not bad, although if you get the iv contrast, be aware that you will FEEL it when it hits. My radiologist didn't warn me and I suddenly felt sort of warm and panicked. My husband thought he had peed himself because the warmth went to his crotch!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Do it, brain tumors can grow for years without anyone knowing it. Anerruisms (I know the spelling is wrong) can go unnoticed until they burst. I would do it just for peace of mind. I have had a CT scan and it wasn't that bad. I would ask for an open machine, I found out I was closterphobic when I was in a closed CT scan machine.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2009