How do you deal with other kids being mean to your kid?

My son just came home from a rec group which does activities crying saying that the other kids were trying to push him off his bike and that one of those kids punched him in the eye. I got him calmed down and he headed back down there. Right now I am so mad and upset...I dont like the thought of someone hurting my baby or his feelings.

ProudMom_5703

Asked by ProudMom_5703 at 8:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (-7 Credits)
  • I'd head right down there with him and find out what's going on!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• You take it up with the parents & the people who were SUPPOSED to be supervising the kids at the time..... then you teach your child not to start anything, but not to TAKE anything either.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Are they not supervised where he was? I would have no problem going down to see what's up. My mom used to look out the window of our apt if she heard kids being mean. She would always just say "play nice". That would let them know she was watching but didn't cause any major problems if they told their mom. I followed her example and my kids do that now when kids get out of hand with my grandkids.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Yes, they are supposed to be supervised and I had mentioned to girl when I was down there to drop him off that the girls were being mean and she said that girls are so much meaner than boys and laughed about it. He is home now and did find one nice kid to play with. I will send him down there tomorrow if he wants to go and if the problem is still going on, I will talk to the girl again. Thank you!
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I would go find out what is going on. That's a bit extreme to be punched in the eye. I would not accept that the person who is supposed be supervising thinks that this kind of bullying is funny. If there is someone higher up you can talk to, I would do that. She should do her job and notify the other parents of their kids behaviors and consequences for doing so, like not being able to attend the rec. That's unacceptable to me.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 9:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Find out who the supervisior is...then confront the the person in charge and tell them very firmly what you know and that your child has the right to be protected and if this happens again you are going straight to "MR.JONES" and telling him all about your child not being safe and protected.
    My oldest is developmently disabled and we moved to a different school district and she was tormented and so I found out the name of the person who employed the principle and called the principle and told him my daughter has the right to be safe and if you don't make sure of it I will report you.......Things turned around after that.
    You are your child"s best advocate!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I'd speak the the head of the rec group, and mentinon this. I know when my daughter had problems at her afternoon program, I made phone calls and complained. You shouldn't have to deal with this especially when someone is suppose to be watching your child. If nothing gets done, start filling complaints.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 3:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Kinda off the subject,but what's worst bullying in the classroom or unsupervised children using scissors?My daughter was in kindergarten in a good pre-k,preschool and that happened,she cut her finger and got 8 stiches.Her teacher on another occasion,pulled down her panties in front of the whole class,my daughter to this day talks about how hurt she was.I guess the point I want to make is,bullying happens to everybody sometimes,from teachers who are bored with their jobs or looking for some 'fun' or they aren't supervising enough because they haven't had a break yet, some preschool teachers don't take regualr breaks.Also alot of young people are taking care of our children these days and it used to be 20 yrs. ago, more mature people did that kind of work, I suspect their lazy how old are they watching your kid?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009