Isn't it amazing?

That when someone starts talking to you about God it's all love and forgiveness. It's all "Just come to church, as your are." So great first time it's jeans and a t shirt. Then a few times later it's you should get a suit. Then it's you should get a more conservative haircut? Then soon you start hearing the preacher in the pulpit saying that some people in this church will not go to heaven. I mean it's so weird isn't it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• not all churches are like that.... it makes me sad when ppl come across religion instead of a relationship with Jesus. It's not about how you dress or how you look but it's about a personal relationship with God the Father through His Son Jesus Christ.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Then you aren't going to the right church. I was raised Lutheran, went to a Church of Christ School, and now I am non-denominational (sp). I love my church, wear jeans every Sunday (So does our Preacher), and the live band ROCKS my SOCKS!! :P It's loads of fun and my kiddos ask to go all the time.
    If you are going to a church and they are telling you what to do to the packaging on the outside, then they aren't concerned about whats inside it. Look around, talk to people, and hopefully you'll find a wonderful Church Family. I'll send my prayers to the Anon who posted this!
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 8:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It sounds like you have had a bad experience. I am sorry for that. I am pretty sure Jesus didn't dress up all the time or even get his hair cut very regularly, considering all the traveling around by foot and donkey that he did. It is unfortunate that people look at a books cover and assess it's contents without cracking the spine.

cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• sounds like a bad church. as a girl i had to wear a skirt every Sunday morning, jeans were only okay on Wednesday nights & shorts were never allowed (by my parents, not the church). but things have changed. most churches dont care what you wear, just that you are there. and ive never heard of a church that wants you to cut your hair a specific way...just old ppl haha.

now i think it doesnt hurt to dress as nice as you can...but God doesnt care, thats all for ppl.

why does the preacher think members of his own congregation wont go to heaven?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Cause they were just tere to save face I guess Ellen G White even said that one of TWENTY people wouldn't go to heaven and that means that 19 were lost, but isn't it awesome that this attitude is never shown before hand? Its all llove and fluffy bunnis wit ha side of rainbows then all of a sudden grey covers the pretty colors. grrrrrrrrrr
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I don't think anyone know the statistics of who will and who won't get into heaven. How could you know that. And whether or not you are saved has nothing to do with what clothes you wear. It only matters that you have a genuine relationship with Jesus. He says, "I am the door."

Unfortunately there probably are some people at church who don't really seek to have a relationship with the Lord. But I don't think it is anywhere near 19 out of 20.

You can have assurance of salvation if you have a relationship with the Lord, if He has become your savior!!!

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 8:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• They obviously do not understand the message of Grace and the Finished Work of the Cross. :( That is so sad!

It is about who you are in Christ not who you were! He loves us where we are at and loves us so much not to leave us there. ( that doesn't refer to how you dress and all that btw)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with dressing nice for worship service.

Though I don't like the idea of preaching that people in the congregation won't go to heaven...they're not God and not the Judge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We go to a non-denominational (sp?). We can dress down, but I still think it should be decent. I wouldn't go to church with hooker boots or anything like that, lol. At this church I found it to be interesting with the live music. And it has child care for the younger ones where they do activities consistant with the bible, but age appropriate so they can understand. They also have a mom's group there that I am thinking about joining.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 9:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Thereis nothing wrong with dressing up for church. It is symbolic of bringing your best to God by wearing your nicest clothes. It is just that though, a symbol, it is not a prerequisite for salvation or anything of the sort. Everyone should wear what they feel comfortable wearing in my opinion.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2009