My daughter can't poop. HELP!! *first time mommy here*

My daughter hasn't pooped in 2 days. She's had bananas, peaches, cereal, breast milk and a little formula when I'm not around. I gave her some apple juice for the first time today to see if that would help. Do you think it'll help or should I give her grape or prune juice to get things moving again?

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 8:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No more juice. It can give her gas. Try apple sauce or prunes. How old is she? You can try karo syrup in a bottle of water. (just about a quarter tsp in a couple ounces of water.) That is what the doctor told us. Is she straining? If not then she is fine.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• 2 days really is not a big deal.. she will be ok
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• im a mother of 3, which all mine went through this, 2days is nothing, the dr told me that before, give it another day and if you are still worried, call ur babys pc and schedule a apointment or just ask them advice
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't really worry about it. I would give my girls a little Karo syrup in their water when it was awhile for them. I don't know if all of those syrups are Karo but if they are the one to use is the clear syrup.
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• if shes in pain or straining call her doc. but agree applesauce works and give the apple juice time to work but call them for advice dosent hurt good luck...
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Prunes were great for my daughter! If she is not screaming in pain, don't worry about it. She will go soon.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't do anything yet. Two days isn't uncommon. Unless she seems uncomfortable, wait. If she is uncomfortable, my pedi always recommended suppositories, this way I wasn't filling them with stuff they didn't need instead of breastmilk.
    ChazznRoccosmom

Answer by ChazznRoccosmom at 8:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My doc recommended waiting until day 3, then try a baby suppository (1/4 of one).. Llay them on their side with the knees to the chest, stick the suppository in the anus (you will have to keep your finger there so they don't push it right out.. after a 5-15 seconds usually the bowels start moving..) If you don't want to use a suppository, the doc also recommended to use an anal thermometer.. coat it well with vaseline, stick it up there.. usually putting something small and lubricated up there will stimulate the bowels. Hope this helps
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 8:44 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Karo syrup can be deadly in infants so stay away from Karo!!! As another asked how old is baby? This will determine the path that would work the best.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• She's 5 months and I have great news!! She pooped!!! I gave her a little apple juice today and I think that did the trick. Thank you ladies soooooo much for all your help.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2009