My 1 yr old got 4 viles of blood taken today, is that normal?

First, I think I must have the best baby ever. He got 3 shots and blood taken and he was still as happy as ever.

So the doctor wanted a test done for celiac and a metabolic...something(he has poop problems and isn't really gaining weight) plus the regular lead and whatever WIC wanted. They took 4 of the small viles from his arm, poor kid he is only 17 pounds, that was like half of his blood. It took 20 mins to get all of the blood they wanted.

Is that a normal amount for those tests?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes, thats a normal amount for lab work......though it seems like they took alot from him, I promise it wasnt near as much as it seemed. Those tubes dont really hold much more than about 3cc per tube, so thats only about 12 cc's of blood, which really isnt as much as it may sound. Hope all his labs are fine, glad you have a happy baby :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 8:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• he should be fine, make sure he eats something, maybe something with iron in it, so he can rebuild his energy, he may be extra tired if it was a lot
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It sounds fine for a blood panel. When I was pregnant, they took 9 HUGE tubes of blood :-o
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2009