Can you 'create' a ghost or a God for that matter?

A fascinating experiment was conducted in the early 1970s by the Toronto Society for Psychical Research (TSPR) to see if they could create a ghost. The idea was to assemble a group of people who would make up a completely fictional character and then, through séances, see if they could contact him and receive messages and other physical phenomena - perhaps even an apparition.

Here is the whole story:

http://www.neopro.info/_mgxroot/page_10728.html

So do you think the mind is capable of creating paranormal phenomenon? How about creating Godly experiences? I mean, if you want something to happen badly enough and you concentrate all your energy and focus on it, can YOU make it happen? Do you suppose what people attribute to miracles, visions and voices from ghosts or God just a creation from our own minds?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The human mind is amazing. Can you create with enough psycic energy? Oh yeah! But is that entity of God or Ghost? No. Just an energy ball of sorts... Can your subconcious do the mind over matter thing with out letting you know? Oh yeah! But again this doesn't actually mean there is a Ghost there. If just means that your fear is so strong that what you fear is happening... Your mind is creating the thing it fears... It's not magick or ghosts or gods... Just mind over matter.

You also have to think that many times what we assume is a ghost or god is really just a natural unspiritual occurance. Like the floor that settles and sounds like foot steps of a persons body that somehow fights off cancer w/o drugs... These things DO happen. But because we need to have a reason for everything we assign a name to everything...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:53 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I suppose it is possible. I do think if you believe something hard enough or long enough it can manifest at least within the mind.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• The mind is a very powerful thing. We can convince ourselves to believe just about anything.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• no and yes. They won't create anything, but I do believe in the spiritual world, a spiritual battle that goes on, you can read a lot about it in the bible... that the fight is a spiritual fight. So, when someone opens themselves up to seances etc they really are opening themselves up to a lot of evil spirits, not creating them, but openingup themselves to spirits that already exist.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• This is pretty much what I believe gods and ghosts to be.....figments of imagination. People believe so deeply in their gods that it's like a placebo. I have no doubt that the belief helps them greatly...but that doesn't mean its true. It's the same thing as someone reading all the symptoms of a disease and subconsciously convincing themselves they have it.

I don't believe in ghosts or gods. You could say I don't because I refuse to see the signs. I say I don't because I've never experienced a sign. I honestly don't believe I have the ability to sense anything supernatural. Whatever it is that other people sense, I don't get those kinds of experiences at all...and believe me, I'd love to have one so I could form my own opinion! I think it might have something to do with my autism. If projecting the will of your mind on the outside world is possible, I just feel I don't have that ability.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Interestingly, while looking at an autism quiz online one time, I came across a schizophrenia quiz on the same site and took it just out of curiosity. I noticed that almost half the things on the quiz were beliefs that many people on here hold very dear. Believing their god or gods help them, answer their prayers, communicate with them in whatever way. Also believing you are psychic or that you've seen a ghost or that you can do magic, etc. All of these things, when magnified a little, are symptoms of a mental disorder! So does that mean people who believe in gods and ghosts are all mildly schizo? Or does it mean that people who are labeled with schizophrenia are actually just VERY psychic??? Learning I have autism made me think about other mental illnesses like this. I am supposedly "overly logical" because of being autistic. But am I? Or am I just less schizophrenic than other people? :) Who knows?
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Belief in anything is delusion.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 11:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We are not God so we can't create. But it sounds like a demon decided to lay with them if you ask me. The dead do not come back, they are just that dead. They are not in heaven or in hell. They are lying in their graves awaiting God's return. The only reasons we see our loved ones is because demons like to mess with us and make us believe certain things to lead us away from God :)
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 11:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Rhanford.. i so agree with you.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• i do believe people create gods... simply by calling to them, believing in them and worshiping them. a god can be anything from anywhere anytime. however doesn't mean it's THE God.. (CREATOR)
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009