Death Penalty - OOPS! Shouldn't have executed him

Read the story about a man executed - now determined to be WRONGfully executed - then post your thoughts/comments

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-tc-nw-texas-execute-0824-082aug25,0,5812073.story

auroragold

Asked by auroragold at 9:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• What about the millions of innocent babies executed every year? Where's the out rage for their deaths?
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 9:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Please - stick to the subject. This isn't about abortion - take that elsewhere
    auroragold

Answer by auroragold at 9:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Abby, that is a strawman argument, it doesn't count in this one.

Aurora - are you 100% against the death penalty? I am not. I am very discouraged at the number of people that have been put to death have been represented by court appointed lawyers that have very little experience representing the accused in matters of capital punishment. I am also dismayed that we don't provide every scientific forensic test available to prove that they either are or aren't guilty. Until we provide fair and accurate representation I feel the death penalty should be suspended, but if the government got off their butt and took care of this, I would be 100% for it.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 9:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• In this day and age, we are going to have alot more people that were wrongfully imprisoned and executed. As we go back and re-run all the tests, now that DNA is available, we will find that we killed alot of innocent people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I don't know. It sounds a little fishy to me. They have people read and comb through reports that are 18 years old to decide if the Fire Marshall was correct in the findings. Were these people able to go to the sene of the fire and see the same things the investigator saw? I think - no. I think there are different types of evidence. The evidence that can be preserved and that which can't. How do you store a fire sene? It sounds like people against the death penalty chose a case they knew could be brought into doubt after this many years. I would have to learn some more about the group that initiated the investigation and find out about motive. It is all really sad though.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• This is really sad, it sounds like they just wanted to get rid of him...

Anon 9:17, I agree, and I think it's hard to dispute DNA. And DNA once obtained, can be placed anywhere, even if you were not there...Scary!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• that is why i do not and never have supported the death penalty.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 10:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• ITA with the third post! Well said! And I have become someone who is against the death penalty.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I am waiting for the attacks...I do believe in the death penalty. How long are we, the american public, supposed to support thse ppl! Look at the members of the Manson cult. How many innocent ppl did they kill "for Charlie"? An innocent baby boy died when Sharon Tate was killed!! I am sorry tht innocent ppl are also executed that dates back quite a ways in history, i.e the Salem witch trials.I am not talking about just mass murders either. You take someone elses life you should be executed. I also hate the lethal injection,too. I favor the electric chair.
    There are SO many ppl sitting on death row in CA that the citizens take care off 100%. Why should they live off society, eat better than some children & seniors, get better medical coverage than veterans(they get FULL medical, dental & vision care. Those of us who served our time in the military don't get dental or vision from the government. Why should they?)
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 1:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't see the death penalty as an effective deterrent to crime. All of the statics compiled over the years show that crime rates in death penalty states are higher than the crime rates in states without the death penalty.

So what does it accomplish? Eliminating the life doesn't cut taxes - you're paying for all of the appeals while the person sits on death row. THAT process won't change - there isn't a fast track to execution.

I simply remain frustrated by a system that seems perpetually flawed. Yes, innocent people have been executed for years but I don't think that makes it "okay". What if the innocent person were your husband, son or daughter? Would you be okay if they were wrongly convicted and executed? (BTW, I'm not saying that snidely or meanly - I'm merely curious as to what you think if it's your kin involved).

auroragold

Answer by auroragold at 6:45 AM on Aug. 27, 2009