Why would you give your children the chicken pox vaccine?

I had it when I was a child and lived. :) Now I have life long, natural immunity. With the vaccine, you need boosters for the rest of your life. Imagine what would happen if your child, when they become an adult, forgets to get the booster, like most Americans do in adulthood, and they get the chicken pox as adults when it's MUCH worse??
Just wondering your reasoning behind it. :)

Autumn22

Asked by Autumn22 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Kids' Health

• "Each year, however, about 200,000 of the millions of people who contract chickenpox become seriously ill with complications such as pneumonia or encephalitis (inflammation of the brain). About 2,000 of these die. "

Well, is this on a GLOBAL scale, or just in the USA? If it's a global scale, you have to take into consideration that we're more technologically advanced than other countries and can better deal with a bad case of the pox.

OP: We opted out of the vax (all of them, actually). I had measles before I was able to get the vax, and i'm rather certain that's worse than the pox. I survived just fine.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:15 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Why would you not? With the vaccines cases of chicken pox are a lot less than it used to be, GAH. Yeah I had it too and lived but I also have physical scars from it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I don't have any scars from mine, neither does my sister. She caught them from me while she was still just an infant.

Sorry you do though. Why do you have scars? Did you scratch them a lot or something?
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It's frustrating to me. We seem to not want to go through any kind of discomfort or pain. It's ridiculous, all the vaccines. My kids will get the vaccine in their preteens if they don't catch it naturally. Unfortunately they will most likely need the vaccine since so many kids get it now.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• When my children were little there was no vaccine. They both had it three weeks apart. My oldest was pretty typical case. My youngest was not. His case was so severe he had to be hospitalized because they were in his throat causing swelling. Also on his penis to the point he couldn't pass urine due to the swelling. He was admitted for 4 days. We took him home and did exactly as instructed. 5 days later he was back in the hospital for secondary infection that nearly killed him. He was in ICU for 9 days. Yes, I vaccinated our grandchildren. IF they get it the chances of it becoming life threatening are reduced by A LOT. BTW..in the world before vaccines..my mother lost 2 sisters to polio. My brother is sterile because of the mumps. I'll take a vaccine.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• The vaccine isn't to keep you from getting it, our sons pediatrician said if they get it it won't be as bad if they have the vaccine. I had chicken pox as a child, I could count how many I had, but i had a really high fever and was very sick. I wanted our children to get the vaccine just to reduce the chances of getting it and the severity of it if they did.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• GreenEyedGrandma:
    Sorry to hear about all of the troubles you have had... thought I would share this though.
    Jonas Salk, inventor of the IPV, testified before a Senate subcommittee that nearly all polio outbreaks since 1961 were caused by the oral polio vaccine.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• To the OP My aunts died in the summer of 1946 after being exposed to a neighbor who didn't know she had it yet.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I highly suggest people watch this - clip 1 - 4. From Dr. Sherri Tenpenny. It talks about Polio.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dr+sherri+tenpenny+polio&search_type=&aq=f
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I'm wondering the same thing. My brother was hospitalized for chicken pox and it was not pleasant by any means, but he's fine now and has life long immunity. Even if we vaccinated, we wouldn't do this one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2009