Christians, do you feel it?

When you hear that someone has converted from Christianity to a whole different religion like Judaism or Hinduism, do you take it personally or feel like it's a judgement against you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• no, if they converted then they never really had a relationship with Christ, and therefore were never really saved. I would actually hate for someone to live their entire live pretending to be a Christian than to move away from the Christain faith when they were never really convinced. Its nothing to take personally... they aren't rejecting me, although they are rejecting my God. I feel more sad than anything.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• no. i dont know them, i dont know their situation. the only time i ever think anything about it at all is if they only tried one branch of Christianity, that one church did something wrong, & now they assume all Christianity is evil & out to destroy the world. must add that i havent met anyone like that yet...

the only time i take it personally or feel like its a judgement against me is when they assume im bad b/c the other Christians they knew were bad or did "xyz".

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• its their decision, not mine. if this person were TOTALLY 'sold out' to the religion we shared, i'd have to wonder what changed their mind, or caused them to seek another faith...only because of my tendency to feel i caused someone to wander (guilt...its whats for breakfast!) due to my inaction, i may feel i had a part in their decision, good or bad. but that's just me. not my religion, my God, or anyone else. i'm just naturally full of myself!! LOL
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• no offense, but I think they do take offense. Christianity is a reliion where they believe is the only right religion. They believe your children should be only friends with christian children. They believe in taking in a whole lot of donations, (god wants you to donate)They believe you are a sinner if you live with someone before you are married or have a baby out of wedlock. Also, the most disturbing, alcohol is the devils work! lol Sorry if it seems i have bitter feelngs, but i went to a baptist church where i live that actually said these things, no lie. I felt out of place with these people, me having a good time is not sitting around and playing scrabble(i do like that game though)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I do not think that it is offensive that anyone should choose a different path than what they were raised with or that is part of their dominant culture. If someone chooses to convert from Christianity to another religion then it is a personal choice, one that does not affect me or anyone else in the slightest. Each person chooses their own spiritual path in life.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I have yet to hear someone say that they're leaving only because of me...I guess if that were to happen I'd take it personally.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• There are plenty who do. When I left christianity I got a lot of crap from christian friends including the whole thing about not really being a christian in the first place which is just ridiculous. People change and grow all the time. I was a christian then I realized that it was all nonsense and left the church. It doesn't mean I didn't believe it whole heartedly at one point.

My best friend actually stopped talking to me and only reinitiated contact about a year ago after 10+ years of not talking to me because I wasn't christian. That didn't really bother me, personal choice. It did bother me that some of my supposed friends told a mutual friend (a girl with meningitis related brain damage, mental age of about 4 or 5 ) that she shouldn't talk to me any more because I was evil. That was so wrong.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I would feel sad but it is their choice. It tells me that they were decieved and did not have a strong relationship with Christ. If you were groundee in His word, Love and Grace and KNEW HIM as well as walked in the Fear of the Lord ( revered, awe) then you wouldn't have a desire to walk away.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• anon 6:23 please don't speak for me, or for any other christian. Since you refer to christians as "they" I will assume that you are not a christian and that is whom this post is addressed to.

I am more saddened. Because I do believe that faith in Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven I am saddened that they are risking eternity. I am also saddened that this may have been caused by believers who don't act much like Jesus. It may not have but it is sad to think of that possibility.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:29 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• yes I also get sad cause I know the truth and what is going to happen to people who deny Jesus Christ as there Lord and savior
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:41 AM on Aug. 27, 2009