I have a 16 month old daughter who lately won't eat hardly anything, and when she takes her naps, they are two a day, but two to three hours long. I know that she is getting her bottom and top "side" teeth in, it seems all at once. She is not running a fever, but also is quite fussy.. what could be the deal? Her not wanting to eat has me getting concerned. Thanks for any answers or suggestions!

I am also 4and a half months pregnant.. a little stressed out.. could this be part of the issue?

gemskye

Asked by gemskye at 9:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be teething, a growth spurt, or a viral illness. As long as she is drinking and eating a little she will be fine. My dd goes through spurts where she will eat all day long and then hardly eat at all for a week.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Wow, this sounds like almost the same thing I just posted! lol. It could be teeth, my son is getting tons of them at the same time all molars and sides, and is acting the same way. Hang in there.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• sounds like teething...get those freeze pops or teething pops or freeze a wash cloth for her to teeth on...teething gels, I am not sure she is old enough to take teething tablets...that would be at your driscretion...teething is hard and it hurts..so be patient with her...=0
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 9:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It probably is the teething. My 14 month old son goes through phases where he won't eat anything and then phases where he will eat everything.
    maryw24

Answer by maryw24 at 9:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• it could be teething. And I know from my own 16m that its hard to corral them in a high chair and I never felt like I was feeding her enough until I sat her down to eat and saw what she actually took in. I think I would be concerned at a point where she was barely eating and lethargic even after naps, change in color, onset of fever or some combination of those. When in doubt, the nurse on duty is a decent guide but go with your gut.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I would call your pedi - almost 4-6 hours of naps and not eating could be cause for concern. Better to be safe than sorry. My daughter is also 16 months and is teething but doesn't act anything like that. She is always eating and naps no more than 2-3 hours a day. I know all kids are different though. Good luck, momma!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My 16 month old also went through 3 weeks of barely eating. I think, honestly, that he's just asserting his own preferences...and of course all he wants are sweets! lol

He's also taking 3 or 4 hour naps when 2 were standard before.

I think it's due to growth spurts.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 10:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I would check with the doctor. My boys had the same symptoms whenever they had ear infections. No fever, just sleepy, cranky and lacking appetites. (None of the ear pulling that you can so often read about, or anything like that.) Always better to be safe than sorry. Good luck - hope he feels better soon:)
    momofthreekjs

Answer by momofthreekjs at 10:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Sorry - Hope SHE feels better soon.

momofthreekjs

Answer by momofthreekjs at 10:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• It sounds like teething, but call the Doctor to be sure. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2009