Dentist?

When should your child start going to a dentist?

crazypink

Asked by crazypink at 9:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My brother is a dentist. He said there was no need to have my LO come in for a visit until she was at least 3. He also said to have her drink water with fluoride and to brush her teeth for her at least 1 per day. She has all her teeth in except her 2 year molars.
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 10:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My dentist recommended the age 3.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:52 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My Dentist said when they first cut teeth. You should at least get them on fluoride if it's not already in your water.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We just saw the dentist yesterday! I had to find someone since we didn't have one. Anyway, everyone I called said they don't see kids younger than 3. I was really surprised! Call around.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I've heard three as well...but I also got this tip from a friend: take your baby with you at your next dentist appointment and bring up your child's teeth. They probably will take a quick look!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• My boys dentist recommends around age 2. I think it all depends on your child, but i definetly would not take mine before 2 or 21/2.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• If you have some concerns their are pediatric dentists that will take a child of any age. A family dentist usually recommends around the age of three (by then the kids will usually sit still long enough to get checked out). I took mine when they were two because I wanted them to be used to it at an early age. I have had enough of my own teeth issues and didn't want my kids to have problems that could be avoided with the right care early on. As far as the flouride is concerned - we have well water and so our kids take a vitamin that has flouride added to it. You don't need a dentist for that prescription. The pediatrician takes care of that for us. Our doc has a list of areas where the water is and isn't treated (city water) and he uses this to determine whether or not the children need flouride in their multivitamin.
    momofthreekjs

Answer by momofthreekjs at 11:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Thanks ladies for your answers!
    Somebody told me the other day that a child should see a dentist as soon as they are cutting their teeth so now I was worried if I kinda missed that! My daughter is turning 2 in September.
    She is taking fluoride, the pediatrician gave it to us when we came to Hawaii!
    So, now I can lean back and don't worry about the dentist for another few months!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 11:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2009