How can I get my breasts to produce more milk?

I just had my son a month ago. He's 3 months premature so I have to pump. For the first 2 weeks I produced a ton of milk. Now I'm lucky if I can get 2 ounces by pumping. Please help! I don't want to lose this milk.

Ronique1989

Asked by Ronique1989 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• keep pumping eat oatmeal drink plenty of water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Don't panic! You must have a lot saved up and your son probably isn't even able to use it yet. Actually 2 ounces isn't all that bad. A newborn baby's stomach is only the size of a golf ball and two ounces would be plenty for a feeding for a newborn.

It would be great if you could keep pumping 8-12 times every 24 hours including once at night. You may not be able to do this with visiting the baby and the stress you are under. Once your baby is able to nurse then you can increase your milk.

You can find lots of great breastfeeding info at www.kellymom.com

There should be a lactation consultant tat the hospital hat can help you. You can also call La Leche League for any questions you have.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Do you look at your son or a picture of him while you pump? Look at him and think about how precious he is and what it will be like to hold him. I know that is crazy, but it works!! I had the hardest time pumping anything with my second and I started thinking about him - the milk just started flowing!! Also, like was said, keep it up. The supply will decrease if you pump less.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• try not to think too much,milk not going from you anywhere.you are doing good job .watch you diet,drink lots of water and have a rest-all you need for increase of milk!!!
    vikaho

Answer by vikaho at 10:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• DON'T STRESS. Just keep on pumping. My daughter was a week late and even I was having trouble nursing her. If I wanted to pump extra milk for her and she wasn't awake, I'd have to look at a picture of her to get everything going. It really does work! Give it a try. Good luck momma.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• The more often you latch him on, the more milk you will make.

If you need help stimulating a let-down (which has nothing to do with the amount of milk you make, only the amount you can express) try the massage technique shown in the Marmet manual expression technique (you may like to try the manula expression--it's free, and many women find it super-effective):

Second page 'assisting the milk-ejection reflex'

http://www.breastpump.com/Manual_Expression_of_Breast_Milk.pdf
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:26 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Btw, Congratulations!!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:34 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Thanks again guys keep em coming
    Ronique1989

Answer by Ronique1989 at 3:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009