fundal measurments

what does it mean when you are measuring ahead exactly? does it mean the baby is growing quicker then normal? or they messed up you edd? i dont get it =/ im nervous im going to have a big baby an will end up having a c-section, oh dear...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 'Measuring ahead exactly" good question. My doctor hasnt said that to me before. In the beginning I was measuring 2 weeks ahead but then two weeks later and ever since then I am measuring at the correct week. Makes me wonder if they know what they are even talking about. :P
    DueOnSept23

Answer by DueOnSept23 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about a big baby unless you are a VERY small girl. From what I hear, chubby babies are smooshy babies, and smooshy will squeeze through where it's meant to. Other than that point, measuring ahead doesn't exactly mean the baby is big, it could mean you have some extra fluid, are a bit farther ahead than estimated, or that the baby was laying in a strange position. I have been measuring a full month ahead for a while now, and I am not nervous, even though my first son was only 6 pounds 9 ounces, I figure if this is a 12 pounder, my body will manage.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 10:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Fundal height interpretaion is an art not an exact science. It is an estimate becuase the measurement depends on the baby's position, the tilt of the uterus, the size of the woman in general, the size of the woman's torso, AND the person taking the measurements.

Babies don't grow on a "schedule" ; they are living beings and we don't all grow at the same rate so growth is an approximations. Some babies might grow a little ahead at some point and some might slow down a bit at another depending on their personal genetics. This is especially pronounced in the third trimester when fundal height measurements are notoriously off, not only because of growth rates but the fact that babies change position.

It's nothing to worry about.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• And can i add that it IRKS me that they don't explain these things in conventional offices to women making so many people needlessly stressed and worried over absolutely nothing! GRRR.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• oh I was measuring weeks ahead. At 32 weeks, I was measuring 40+ weeks. It means nothing. the baby could have been laying higher, extra fluid. I wouldnt worry about it. I had a big baby but not a huge baby. She was 8lbs 11oz.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• thanks ladies! that makes me feel better! maybe he was laying in a diff. postion! it was a little harder to breath that day maybe he was closer to the lung area or chest area what ever it called! :) hope you all have a lovely night!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• You're making something out of nothing, dear. :) Fundal measurement being ahead just means that your uterus is measuring a little higher than the average measurement for your week of pregnancy. Just because the uterus seems big doesn't mean your baby is too big or that you will have to have a c-section. Stop worrying; you'll do yourself more harm than good by worrying and stressing about it. :)
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 11:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2009