Stupid drivers near schools

When I drop my son off at head start I have to pass the middle school here in town. Usually I have to stop and wait for a parents to drop their kids off. and then wait while the kids walk across the street. I never mind this because I know that one day I'll be right there doing the same as the other parents. But today I wanted to get out and punch a lady right there in fornt of everyone I was stopped at a cross walk and the truck in front of me hadnt moved yet so there was a good car length space between us. This lil bitty behind me starts honking her horn and flips out into the other side of the road and whirls in front of me and down the side road beside me. I was really tempted to throw open my car door as she barreled by so that she would have to pay for something since she wasnt thinking about the young lives she could have ruined.
Does anyone else have to deal with stupid incosiderate drivers in school zones?

momie_of_munch2

Asked by momie_of_munch2 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Everyday. At my DD school they ask that you not talk on your cell phone while in the line to pick up your kid but everyday there they are chatting away not paying any attention to the little k-5 kids being walked to their parents cars. What is so important it cant wait 2 minutes?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• i have had the samething happen once last year i felt the sameway..but karma came around she was pulled over and all us parents honked just one beep each she didint like that but i dont think anyone cared lol she did get a ticket im sure a hefty fine..it was great. thankfuly no one was hurt parent or child..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I have to deal with it, just not so directly yet. My DD is only 3 months, but I work for a company that has a contract with the school board. We put camera's on the school buses to catch people passing the stop arms when they aren't supposed to. The ticket is just like the red light photo tickets, except these tickets are $400. People are PI**ED when they get this. We have had people go to the news crew to investigate the ticket. They don't care that if a child is crossing the street they could kill the poor child .. all they are worried about is getting where ever they need to go at the time. People like this frustrates me soo much.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Everyday at drop off AND pickup. It's really very scary how fast people drive by school zones. Kids are not adults and are still prone to making mistakes on or near the road either walking, riding their bikes or on scooters. You have to be SO careful. Often there's a cop there and every time I've seen him he's ticketing someone.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• We have all kinds of crazy drivers by our school and they are all PARENTS of the kids at the school because there is no other reason to go down those streets unless you are dropping kids off (very few of the residents on those blocks leave that early in the morning). My son was almost run over crossing 1/2 a block from the school and my 6yo almost got hit crossing the alley yesterday (which was actually her fault because she only looked down the alley not around the street and the car was turning into the alley).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:16 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Yes. Imagine this one! I'm at my daughters DAY CARE (you know, infants to 4 year olds!) and another parent came FLYING up the covered pick up/drop off area where kids and parents walk thorugh to the parking lot or other cars stop to pick up. Anyhow, you think a fellow parent would understand the need to go slowly through the entire day care parking lot as there are little kids who aren't quite old enough to remember to look or even know to look when crossing the road. Not to mention that little heads are hard to see when between cars and they can get away from mom or dad and run out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Aug. 27, 2009