How do children know so much about sex?

At the park today..I saw two five year olds dry humping and kissing. The other parents at the park were in shock and didn't know how to respond. I found the mothers and let know as nicely as I could. The parents automatically took their kids from the park. My question is..how did these five year olds know how to act out sex? Second question is What would you have done?

Darlinree

Asked by Darlinree at 10:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Health

• I think you did the right thing by telling the parents. I would have done the same thing. It's possible the kids may have walked in on their parents or like everyone else has said, saw it on tv due to poor judgment on the parents behalf. If the parents didn't act shocked then apparently they know where their children saw it and why their immitating it.
    prcd_n_tatd

Answer by prcd_n_tatd at 11:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• All forms of media......enough said.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I'm guessing tv or movies...I don't know...that would freak me out.....I would probably been in shock to do anything.....but I think you did the right thing..
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• tv and movies probably....when my daughter was 2 i had to make sure she no longer saw anything on tv that she could act out, b/c just by watching normal pg13 or those types of movies she was trying to use her tongue to kiss people.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Everyone is blaming TV. Don't we as parents have a responsibility to keep the tv g rated until after bedtime?
    Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 10:52 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• yes we do.. but lets be honest id say 6/10 really do keep it fully g-rated though
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• my guess is that they were not acting out human sex they were probably copying dogs. I've seen my nephew do this because they have dogs and the male dog is constantly humping the other dogs and the stuff animals. Children this age love to pretend that they are animals, especially dogs and cats.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 10:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• idk maybe they saw their parents on accident or came across porn somehow?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I've never seen dogs act like these kids were..but I guess that's a valid theory. SO let me ask you this...how would you have reacted as a bystander or as the parent?
    Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 10:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Well, either they have seen it because someone either had sex in front of them, they saw it on TV due to lack of supervision, or worst case one of those kids had been molested...... who knows..... could be anything. I would have found the parents and said something like you did, or walked right over to the kids and told them what they were doing was NOT appropriate, depending on the situation of the park I guess.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 11:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2009