Pagans...your beliefs about the Christian God?

I've seen many Pagans mention that they believe the Christian God exists, but that he is not the only god. I have also seen many of you say that whatever pantheon you believe in is going to be the afterlife you will go to when you die.

For those of you who believe those things, do you also believe the Christian hell exists but just doesn't pertain to your pantheon? Or is hell just a scare tactic to get people to follow that particular god?

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 11:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe all deities are actually one deity, and the different names just reflect particular aspects of personality, as needed depending on ethnic, social and linguistic variations and how people "relate" to The One. (Kind of like how one person can have multiple names/nicknames depending on who is talking to them.)

I don't believe in Hell at all. I find it hard to believe a loving, wise Creator (basically, an eternal parent) could condemn its children to that kind of torture.

As parents, we know we have to correct our children, and sometimes even punish them, but we don't (hopefully, those of us with *some* sanity still intact) torture them, despite what they claim taking away their video games is.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I believe that when its all boiled down there is one God and one Goddess just different ways to see them(or not as can be the case with the Goddess). So the Christian God does exist but he basically is the same as everyone else just interpreted differently.

I think hell is a scare tactic.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2009

• I believe all gods are ONE GOD; all goddesses, ONE GODDESS.

Hell only exists if YOU believe it does.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:56 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:01 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I dont believe in Hell. And i dont believe that Christians go to the heaven they think they go to. But i do believe that the Christian god is a god. And that the heaven he described is only one description of the "heaven" we all go to (temporarily) in the afterlife.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:45 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• All gods are one god, one great spirit, the first spirit perhaps..... I think there is a lot of fighting over who is right and it's all just fighting over nothing. There is no heaven, there is no hell. That was all just made up to control the masses into behaving. But, that's just my opinion. You are entitled to your own, as long as you are not trying to force it on me we are cool!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:14 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Hell does not exist. It's a bastardized concept of Hel, which has absolutely no similarity to Christian Hell.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:50 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I believe that he exists. I do not however believe that he is the all powerful God of Gods that he wants his followers to believe in. I believe that he, like all gods, is falable and has prooven that over and over again.

As for Hell. I have read and studied the bible for many years. There is NO mention of hell! In fact many of today's "normal" Christian beliefs are not upheld by the bible they cling to. I do not believe that the after life holds what we imagine per say... I believe that the Elysian Fields could translate in to Heaven. But that they are simply a beautiful spiritual plane where happyness abounds. No angels, no gods... Just the spirits of those whom have passed and wish not to return to earthly form. The idea of Hell in the Christian form didn't emerge until well after the Catholic Church was established and it was used 100% as a scare tactic.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:39 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I'm not a Pagan (nothing wrong with being one, though!), but I do agree with what most of the responses thus far: that there is One God and people merely perceive Him differently (either as one God/dess or different god/ddesses).

And, even as a Christian, I believe Hell is merely a scare tactic that does not exist in actuality. Therefore the concept of Hell is one that I do not agree with, and completely reject.

Hope you don't mind me interjecting - I just thought I'd pipe in, seeing as I do believe similarly to some of the responses already given.

=)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:17 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• "Hell only exists if YOU believe it does. "

So if you believe it exists, and you believe you are a bad enough sinner that you will go there for whatever reason, will you go there? That's kinda sad if the belief is only there because the person was taught that way.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:21 AM on Aug. 27, 2009