Crying @ Daycare :*(

How long/ how many days did your LO cry when you dropped them off at daycare? I was a SAHM most of my DD's life and when I did work before, she only stayed with her grandparents. She's 3. It makes me feel so guilty when she cries and I have to leave her. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Unless she is crying to WHOLE time I wouldn't be concerned. It's completely normal for them to cry for a few minutes the first couple of weeks. If it's all day than I'd be concerned but your daycare provider would definately say something.

One thing you might try is to take a stuffed animal (one of her favorites) and right in front of her give the animal hugs and kisses. Hand it to her and say "Now whenever you miss mommy I want you to hug __ cause it carries mommys hugs and kiss's" or something along that line.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:12 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Last year my son cried for a few days, maybe the whole first week of school (I work in a school and he goes to my mil's). But he'd only cry for a couple minutes, basically until I was out the door, then he was fine.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:41 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• This is going to sound terrible to you...mine never cried once. In fact, he couldn't get rid of me fast enough...there was a sand table to be played with!

When you drop her off. give her a kiss goodbye and just GO. Don't dawdle...that only makes it worse.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:44 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• is she only crying when you leave or the whole time? In my experience as a working mom and now a daycare provider the crying stops shortly after you leave. a little girl i watch whom i have had since she was 3 months old recently started crying when her mom would hand herto me as soon as the door clicked closed baby was smiling and wanting to go play with toys. I finally explained it to her mom and told her to listen at the door next time she leaves, she went from feeling guilty to feeling very fooled lol.

My own kids have done it to me when they were younger lots of tears when i drop them off . once i came back 10 minutes later and my son was smiling and laughing and i thought "you lil s^%t"

it really depends on if its departure crying or the entire time, if its new to her give her time and she will do great pretty soon she will run ahead of you to get there and you will feel like crying :)

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:45 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• That just sounds awful to me. Can you not continue to stay at home with him for just 2 more years until he starts school?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• To the PP...and when her child crys at kindergarten, should she pull her out and homeschool instead? (ANON - use your real name!)

Anyways, like the other moms said, once you get in the car or to work, give the daycare a call. I bet she has already stopped by the time you get to the car! My son went through a period where he would cry until I left, too. I have found that the longer it takes, the more likely he is to cry. So, drop her off wave bye and leave. She will be happy playing with her new friends and toys! Now, I just drop him off and can hardly get him to even wave good bye! (He is almost 23 months.)
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:44 AM on Aug. 27, 2009