What do I do about solids?? They seem to be hurting, not helping! Please any suggestions!

My daughter is almost 8 months old and been breastfed sense she was born. We just started her solids, she likes food and everything but she has never had diaper rash or even any redness at all on her down there but ever sense the solids she has got diaper rash and her poop has changed to me she seems very constipated!! On top of all this she has been ten times as fussy with the solids she wakes up crying at night something she hasnt done sense a month old. She just never seems confortable always pretty fussy. She eats cereal carrots I got her prunes for the constipation, she eats green beans, things like that. She has been on solids I would say about two-three wks. I am very worried and just dont know what to do. I am still breastfeeding as much as I was before the solids but she just doesnt seem happy. What can I do???

HeidilovesNyla

Asked by HeidilovesNyla at 12:47 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you nursing before the solids? That's a primary rule which a lot of moms don't know. Nurse, then gie solids.

For now...back off the solids and then reintroduce them. Dump the cereal...it's known to constipate and doesn't offer anything of real value as compared to the other foods you've introduced.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:53 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• oh this is easy...
    she wakes up crying b/c she is still hungry. Breastfeeding her the same amount, and giving her food is not working b/c she is getting about 1/3 of her fullness from milk. Then of course she wets the diaper later and though the solids hold her for a while, it just isnt enough. Her constipation is probably from you feeding her veggies with lots of iron in them. Thats good, but try mixing her veggies with some breast milk. This will help her ween, and soften her stool. You should also only try one food at a time per week. She may be allergic to something so I would check to see if she has a rash or irritaion elsewhere. Also you may need to either switch diaper brands, and change her more often. B/c with new foods she will be filling her diaper more frequently. Hope this helps you!
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 1:08 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I would also back off of the solids. If you have only been giving them for 2-3 weeks she should only be having a couple of things. If you are doing cereal, I do/did, mix it with b/m if you have it, and get her going good on that before you introduce any of the veggies or fruits. Also, rice cereal always made my dd constipated, I did the baby oatmeal, just make sure it is single grain(I think that is the term). Then when you do introduce veggies or fruits, start with one for at least a week if there may be an allergy. Personally I think that her little body has just had too many new things introduced too quickly and her body is having a hard time adjusting. I am sure that most moms will disagree with me, but, I also started with cereal, fruits, then veggies. It never made a difference with my girls but it does some. Good Luck!
    stacy77

Answer by stacy77 at 2:07 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I'd slow down on solids, and completely stop the cereal. The added iron could be the culprit for hard time pooping. Nurse first, then offer solids, but just a few spoonfuls at a time. You say you just started, you should start slow.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:45 AM on Aug. 27, 2009