Fire and Brimstone Preaching Christians...

...who refuse to "sugar coat" things or "love you pagan neighbor"...
...who appear to believe THEIR way is the ONLY way...
...who come on here to "spread the word", and then get upset when someone says "no thank you"...
...who think homosexuals are ruining the USA, possibly the world...

How's that working for you?
Has it ever worked?
Have you ever actually convinced anybody to change their ways and follow your (god's) ways?

How many souls (if any) have you "saved"?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 12:49 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• And is a soul professing to be a christian out of fear really a conversion? No. When the fire-and-brimstone moms start their preaching on here, I can sense hundreds of minds turning away and going cold. No DOES mean no.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I have a feeling you'll get no answers.

I know that I've been to two fire and brimstone churches, not knowing that that was what they were...we walked out mid-service both times.

My own journey has taken me to a church that recognizes the dignity of all human beings.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:55 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Are you feeling a little bitter?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Stop with the drama already!
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:18 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I've never been to a "fire and brimstone" church, and if hell was the only message preached I'd say what's the point in listening. The things that God warns against are all in the bible, and not a single person is excluded, or should I say "innocent". We are all basically in the same boat so to speak in terms of needed God's love, guidance, forgiveness, correction, protection, and so on. Many believe their way is the only way, but the problem is is that it's "their way!" In the scriptures Christ is the door by which we obtain access to the Father.
    I can't say I've convinced anybody to follow the way I'm familiar with, but usually I just give my opinion when there's a question about religion on here because it's on my heart to do so and I find it interesting. I know I need to work on drawing closer to God for myself and typing this helps me feel a greater need to do so. Hope you have a good night!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 1:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't expect anyone to bring someone to God that way....

"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will." 2 Timothy 2:23-26

"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander." 1 Peter 3:15-16
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I dont believe in going to church. I bible study with my husband in our own home. Anyway, I kinda like your post because I am Christian and I am friends with everyone. My family on the other hand pretty much hate pagans or anyone who doesnt believe their way is the right way or get mad when people dont want their advice. I tell them all you can do is offer the truth and if someone doesnt want to know the truth then that is their problem, not yours. There are a lot of so called christians out there, but they dont know the real truth, they twist the bible up and only believe what benefits them. Anyway, kudos
    MaKettle87

Answer by MaKettle87 at 2:09 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I'm sorry someone hurt you and put you in a position of distrust against Christians. The ONLY person who's way is "the only way" is Jesus Christ's. her I go again quoting a saying from one of my favorite Christain froups(who are not together anymore ,unfotunately) frmdcTalk on their "Jesus Freak" cd"...The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christains, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbeliveable..."
    I personally don't save souls. Jesus does the saving I just share what He has done for me & pray that you see Him in me. Want to know Jesus? I can help you with that. Say no thank you and I will just tell you I will pray for you b/c I believe that the only way to get to Heaven is by accepting Jesus as your Savior. I will continue to pray for you to do it now b/c the Bible says that the day is coming when EVERY knee will
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 5:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• (contd) bow & every tongue will confess that He is Lord of all. (I am paraphrasing but you get the idea) Please let go of whatever anger you hold. Go to God with it. He loves you as you are and wants that personal relationship with you. If you don't like the fire & brimstone stuff walk awy from it. Your relationship with God is not what every one else says it has to be. You relationship with Him is personal & initmate. He loves you just as you are. Talk to Him as you would your BFF. It doesn't have to follow anybody elses rules except His.
    I will pray for you. PM if you'd like to discuss further what I am saying. Your Heavenly Father loves you & so do I.
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 5:27 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Jesus never said Go out and preach fire and brimstone to the nations. He did say Go and preach the Good news of the Gospel to all the nations. What IS the Good News? Jesus an the Power of His Love, Grace and Finished work of the Cross.
    Mark 16::15-16 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.
    "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.
    Luke4:17-19 "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed,to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:31 AM on Aug. 27, 2009