The switch to milk...is this normal?

My son is 12 mo old this august and we have officially taken him off of formula. He has been drinking milk for 3 days now, and for the last 2 days he has had diarrhea. He has no fever and no signs of illness other than his BM's, and I suspect that it's the milk. Is this normal, or should I be doing something about it? I keep thinking that he's just getting adjusted to it. There are no hives and he seems to love it. Should I make a change? How long should I watch it before I call the dr?

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 12:57 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What I did was phase in milk slowly. I did 1/2 formula 1/2 milk for a week then 1/4 3/4 for a week then made the switch. Watch your little one for dehydration, such as no tears, fewer wet diapers and of course if he is just not himself. Sleeping a lot, etc.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:13 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• he is having trouble digesting dairy. this is not a good reaction. you could try goats milk
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:58 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I would dilute the milk, I had to with my daughter until she was 3 years old. She had a very hard time with formula, was allergic to most of them so I phased it in slowly. I even tried giving her goats milk when she was an infant hoping she would keep it down, all it really did was make her smell like a goat.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:34 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If diluting the milk doesnt work and you have the same reaction, it could either be an allergy or intollerance to lactose. If it is an allergy, he will probably also be allergic to goat's milk (something like 80% of people with a cow's milk allergy are also allergic to goat's milk.) You can try soy milk if you would like, or rice milk. Just always make sure to clear it with the pediatrician first.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:32 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I actually had this problem as well as throwing it up. We switched to 2 % and haven't had any problems since. Give it some time and make sure that your child stays hydrated.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2009