How do I get a white porcelain sink white again?

I am just about ready to give up and toss it out. Help!`

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Put the stopper in the sink. Add 1/2 c. laundry bleach. Fill the sink with hot water. Let it sit for at least an hour then drain.

That's what we do with our kitchen sink when it gets stained.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:08 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Oxyclean.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 1:10 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If bleaching doesn't work, go to a hardware store or home center and buy emory paper (it's really, really fine sandpaper that plumbers use to remove discoloration from old fixtures). Don't press hard, use a circular motion to remove discoloration. Once the discoloration is removed, stop sanding, since the emory paper is removing some of the glaze from the sink.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:32 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Comet with bleach worked wonders for me. I sprinkled it on, let it sit an hour and it cleaned up beautifully
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 8:51 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I just heard a woman at the laundry room talking about what she did. She said bleach didn't do it for her (it usually works well but I have no clue what stained her sink) so she was watching tv and some HGTV program said to open a can of coke and pour it. She said she did it and it worked great. I know coke soft drinks can clean the corrosion off of car battery cables so maybe it can clean your sink. It's a cheap way to try too!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:41 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• With alittle elbow grease, gloves, comet and a scouring pad it will look good as new.

Or you can fill the sink make sure it has a stopper and let it soak overnight with 1 cup of bleach.

UH! Excuse me but did you get a new sink??? that is what guest would say...lol
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• When we bought our house the kitchen sink was horrible. I tried everything under the sun. I think it was beyond cleaning. You know if something gets too nasty for too long....

I got a new sink when we redid the kitchen. I got an acrylic sink and the color is Cinnabar..it is sort of a dull coppery color. I LOVE it. It cleans easy and is very forgiving!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:57 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• What is it stained with? We have awful well water so I have to use either CLR or Rust-Out to get everything white again.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 2:28 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• BLEACH baby!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on Sep. 6, 2009