Christians, What is your experience with 2 Cor. 1:3-4?

"Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."

I read this today in my One Year Bible and then I saw it play out before my eyes tonight at youth group (don't you love it when that happens). One of our H.S. girls just lost her grandpa and she was very shook up tonight. But what was a blessing was seeing how the most qualified person to share with her was my friend Maria who just suffered terribly with the loss of her own grandmother. God uses our own pains, to help us comfort others.

How have you seen this verse in your life? Have you been able to comfort someone? Has someone comforted you? How have you seen the Lord move in this area?

What do you think : )

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 1:21 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oh yes, both on the receiving end and the giving end. One example, when my dad died, we had an older lady in our church who had lost her husband about a year before, she was a great comfort to me. Then not more than 6 months later we had a lady who lost her father. It was my turn to comfort her.

Also you can be going through similar situations and comfort each other. My former pastors wife has MS and it has affected her in a lot of ways. My husband also has MS, although his symptoms are not as bad. Steve and I comfort each other as caregivers, Juliann and my husband as the one's with the disease, and their daughter and my daughter as the kids who also are affected by the changes in their family. So one of God's gifts to us is this comfort and love we can give one another.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Yes, I've seen it in my own life after my mother passed on. I've been on both sides of it -- the one being comforted, and the one offering comfort.
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 1:29 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I think the biggest thing that God has taught me by my own personal experiences is forgiveness. I was molested for 2 years by my grandfather, and after all this I think that is why I am able to forgive others slights. Unfortunately I still struggle in forgiving myself.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 1:31 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• yes but not in a death ocassion maybe in a job loss..i love jesus christ
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 1:32 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I just reread your question and realized that what I wrote doesn't really appy, I'm sorry LOL.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 1:32 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• oh yea love this verse .. We all have had some tributation in our lives but Jesus is there to pick us up :) God bless

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:38 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Heathercurlz no need to apologize. I needed the encouragement on forgiveness.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 1:40 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• heathercurlz, that is totally something that you can use to encourage and comfort other people. So many people are suffering the pain of abuse. We have girls in our youth group that are in so much pain and I feel like I can't help them as much as someone else could because I have never been abused like that (I can't completely understand).

I am going to pray that God continues to heal and comfort you of all the effects of the molestation and that He will continue to use you to share that comfort with the many other women who need it!!! Thank you for sharing that!!!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:49 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Yes, but in reverse. God used that verse to teach me patience, perseverance and faith. I was an instrument for God while my ex SIL went through a very hard divorce wherein she had her entire world ripped apart, the foundations shattered and she spent a horrible time in the midst of the battle. I walked with her, hand in hand through the 2 years it took her to obtain her divorce. Within a year of her getting her divorce, her brother (my husband - now ex husband) did the EXACT same thing to me that her husband had done to her. Everything was a parallel between the actions of the two men - from the revelation of lifelong infidelity, to stripping the families finances, to turning against God - it took me two years to get a divorce too. I believe because I was faithful to what God instructed me to do for her thru that verse, His Grace and Mercy was expedient in my own divorce.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:53 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I do fund raising for breast cancer and today I spoke to a lady who lost her son 9/27/09 to another form of cancer but we chatted for a few minutes and I really felt God using me to give her comfort. i also spoke to an AWESOME lady who is a breast cancer survivor help oher women who have just been diagnosed or just going to surgery.
    God is so awesome. When I was planning to move from CA to WA I thought it was so I could continue my education. I had no idea God had sent me here to save my life!! I share my testimony of how it is my love & devotion to God that got me thru my breast cancer and how He uses me to talk to women just diagnosed or ppl who have loved one going thru it, or have just lost someone to it. Believe me I have NO problem telling ppl what God has done for me!! IT'S NEVER BEEN SAID THAT i AM SHY!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 4:57 AM on Aug. 27, 2009