If the baby is not moving at week 39, is that a sign of a problem?

She moved once today and we heard her heartbeat, but she hasn't moved since.

thabellz

Asked by thabellz at 3:17 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• What i'd tell you if you think somethings wrong go to labor and delivery, granted they don't have much room to move, you should still be able to get 10 movements in an hour. I had the same issue with my son at 36 almost 37 wks and they hooked me up to the monitor and couldn't get anything so they ended up inducing labor, but had to have a c-section because he didn't tolerate the contractions well. If you don't go in at least call them
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 3:29 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If she is normally active I would go to L&D just to be safe. There's always a possibility that something is wrong when you baby doesn't move. However she COULD be sleeping. My motto on anything with my kids is "Better safe than sorry".
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 3:30 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I would drink some thing sugary then do kick counts @ least 10 an hour or call the doctor
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 3:35 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• just call your doctor and head to the hospital... better to be safe then sorry love goodluck
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 3:40 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• at 39 weeks i would be worried, you should be feeling her move, go to the hospital, it could be that shes getting a nice long relaxed baby but better safe..

good luck hope all is well
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 4:17 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Babies don't move quite as much as when they had more room. And sometimes, just like us, they have "tired days". I notice that if the baby has been active at night (I only notice when I wake up and have to go pee otherwise I wouldn't know it) the day activity is less -- the baby is sleeping!

Before you panic. Drink some orange juice. And lay down for a while and just quiet yourself. Sometimes the baby rolls a little or move hands or an elbow might poke you (they tend to kick less because there is no room for a wind up). Sometimes it is subtle becaue the baby might be in a position that doesn't let you feel quite as much as you did when it was in aonother position.

Stay well hydrated too.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:23 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My son didn't want to move much in week 38 I went to L&D 3 times, all of which is was perfectly fine. I'm not saying for ONE SINGLE second, you shouldnt go in to check- but don't worry to much before you get there. Baby has basically NO room, and he could just be positoned in the birth canal ready to come out and playyyy!
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 9:52 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• im due on monday my baby as not moved much prob once or twicwe a day for the past 3 days he neva moved at all 4 2 days wen i was 36 weeks so went 2 ln d they put me on machine still wud not move but was a heart beat so they gave me sum freezin water he soonmoved 5 min after but if u r worried then u need 2 ring the hospital n explain they will tell u 2 go in but gl x
    molyneux88

Answer by molyneux88 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009