Cost of Daycare!

Okay This is a question/ mini vent!
I've read on this site at least 3 times today how a SAHM would LOVE to go back to work but she can't afford the daycare ... When she only has ONE CHILD!!! I understand that if you only work part-time. But if you really want to go back to work you're more than likely going to go full.

I have 3 kids so this IS true for me. But even I'll admit that if I had a job at one of the local call centers I could put my kids in daycare and still bring home about 150 a month. WITH 3 kids! So how is it that someone with only 1 would pay more ind DC than they would make?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• Because I don't have an education. That's why. Because the highest paying job I can get is minimum wage. Because I only want to work to get out of the house some of the time. I don't necessarily want to spend ALL my time away from my baby. Cost of living. Cost of a REPUTABLE day care!
    I worked in a daycare for awhile and I can tell you right now, you'd better make sure you know exactly what's going on with your kids while they're there. I don't trust most places. Plus, the only place I can really take my baby - due to location - is $200 a week for one, yes ONE child. They change diapers every hour, whether the kid needs it or not. They won't use cloth diapers [I've been using them for months] so that means I'd be paying out my ass for diapers. They also won't feed my baby what I want her to have.
    We have bills just like everyone else. My working would not benefit us enough to warrant actually doing it.
    That's why.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 4:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't have one either. Yet I can still do it. If I wanted to work for something like 30-40 cents an hour.
    I do understand not wanting to work full time. But that would be your CHOICE. Why do people complain about things that they can change if they REALLY want to? And where is it that you live that it would cost that much? Where I live you only pay that much for a high end daycare where they have things like karate lessons and special art teachers and piano lessons. Places where it's really ritzy. Here a reputable daycare is around 4-6 hundred a month for each child.

Off topic here but have you thought about going back to school? There's all kinds of grants for moms.
    PS I didnt mean to piss you or anyone else off. I just get sick of hearing it. You would too if you were in my shoes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You're right. It IS my choice. It is my choice, not to work at all so that I can be with my daughter and provide better for her. Going to work full time would make it so that I never really saw her. I'd never really get to spend time with her the way I do now. Sure, I might be able to bring in an extra $100 a month after daycare, but that's not what's best for HER. My wanting to go back to work is purely out of want. Not need. Of course if I needed to I would. But I don't. I just want to. It is a far better decision to stay home and have a little bit of extra money ... to say... take her to the zoo, than it would be to get a job and have nothing.
    We live in England. We're on government orders. It was not our choice to move here. Daycare for her would cost 122.00 british sterling a month. After the exchange rate conversion for british sterling to american dollars that's anywhere from 200-250 depending on the exchange rate.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 5:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Anyway, since the dollar is so weak, that's the price we pay in american dollars. 122 pounds sterling for the brits is certainly no big deal. That's what they get paid in. We on the other hand, are paid in dollars. The jobs I could get also pay dollars, unless I were to get a work visa. That's a bunch of paperwork, money and hassle. It's not worth it.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 5:28 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I DID work while I still had one child, it was when I had two pretty close in age that would have to be in daycare that my husband and I made the decision for me to stay home. Ultimately I wanted to be home with the kids anyways, but logically when we did the math it cemented the idea. I made $1000/month and daycare for an infant and a toddler (at a place that I would trust) was going to cost $800/month. Then factor in gas getting to work, clothes, extra food, more fast food because I wouldn't want to cook as often, etc. and that extra $200 that was left over from daycare wasn't worthwhile.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• becuase the cost of daycare varies from areas... if i were to put my 2 kids in daycare it would be $250 a week... i am a cosmetologist.. just starting a new job would be rough beucase they dont pay a set amount... it would either be a commission on how much i did each week or a booth rent where i pay them rent but after that i keep everything... .so there is no knowing what i will be making......
    plus you have to figure in the cost of gas, and extra food then you have to have different clothes for work, its hard.....
    im thinking about going back to work part time, but daycares in our area wont accept kids part time, so its looking bad for us. unless we can find someone that wants to come to our home and watch them... and even then most ppl wasn between $8-$12 an hour!!! its crazy!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 8:21 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• WEll MOST daycares are not that much. Cali New Jersey and NY are by far the most expensive. i can understand why women dont put there toddler or newborn baby in daycare because its around 500-900 for tip top but even I did it. But after there potty trained you can find a great daycare for 300 a mnth...Mines 160 a mnth...So its possible people just make excuses. I mean if you want to be a SAHM than do it but if you complain so much about needing money and having to work you can make it work

AND FYI without a college your still capable I make $17.00 a hr no where enar min waige and have no college degree yet. So thats no excuses offices higher people over min waige without college education
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 9:39 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It seems as though some are insinuating that moms who go to work don't care for their kids as much or don't spend any time with them. Some of us moms who do choose to go to work and put their kids in daycare MUST go to work, either for financial reasons or mental health reasons. I am a much better mommy when I am working, if I stay at home all the time I tend to slip into deep depression and have no motivation to do ANYTHING! The point is to find a daycare provider that you trust and that is reputable. Your children will be happy if you are happy......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• nikkiandbaby....

where are you getting daycare for %160 a month? ours is 125 a week.. i live in louisville ky... occasionally you can find a center for maybe $85 or 95 but they are questionable and have many complaints against them..

and i agreee you CAN find a higher paying job without a degree but it is hard, and it also depends on where you live.. factory work and such usually start lower but you can advance
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:58 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• AND FYI without a college your still capable I make $17.00 a hr no where enar min waige and have no college degree yet. So thats no excuses offices higher people over min waige without college education

it's too bad they do. seriously. my point is that i don't NEED to work. i want to, but i'd like to. i don't "need the money" or even really care about it. just some time to do something other than sit at home bored all the time.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 10:23 AM on Aug. 27, 2009