In all honesty is it bad that im sipping on a beer while breastfeeding?

just one beer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No its not... its suppose to be good for your milk flow ... i think its ok once a week but i never breastfeed but my sis did.
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 4:23 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• its just one beer. nothing more!!!
    i would never do this if i was drunk or anything i pump if i need to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i'm sure your fine sweety
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 4:27 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• 1-2 drinks is fine. More then that, you should wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:41 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• it is fine. it helps with mil production.
    acjadams

Answer by acjadams at 7:58 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Its fine, I had to do that to stimulate more milk production. However, beer at 4am is a little odd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• "• There is some debate about how alcohol affects breastmilk production. Recent studies seem to indicate that alcohol consumption reduces breastmilk output and can interfere with letdown, and that using alcohol to increase production is an old wives tale. However, anecdotally, I know women who swear that milk production dramatically increased with the consumption of a dark beer such as Guinness.
    • Studies indicate that mothers’ alcohol consumption negatively impacts babies’ sleep cycles and quality of sleep."
    This is just what I found in a quick search. You have to make your own decision, but I also know that it depends on a babies age - when babies are young their livers are not as well developed as ours and they process alcohol much less efficiently than we do. But then it also takes a while (30-45 mins) for alcohol to get into breastmilk, so if you're feeding while you're drinking you're probably okay.

Answer by missanc at 8:06 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My thing is would you put just a sip or two in your babies bottle if you were formula feeding? No? Ok, to me it's the same thing.. If you want to drink, pump enough milk so you won't have to even worry about the possible risks.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:14 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I'm going to say yes, because I don't believe you are really just "sipping" and I don't believe you are having just one. If you were sticking to one a day and slow sipping, I don't think you'd feel the need to post the question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't see how it can stimulate milk production.
    Dehydration, cause less milk production, thats why you need to drink a lot of water.
    Alcohol, causes dehydration, hence hangover if you drink too much.

Personally I think that the safe to drive safe to nurse thing is crap also. Ask a cop if one or two and getting into a car is a good idea?

I agree with kalebsmommee, would you put alcohol in the formula even trace amounts?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2009