help with a tic

My 12yr son said to me tonight that hes doing this thing and it drives him crazy.
He said it goes like this- If he bumps his right heel he then goes to the left heel and taps once, then back to the right heel twice, then the left heel 4 times so and so on. I acted like it was no big deal but asked if it bothered him and he said it drives him crazy and that it’s the worst when he’s in bed and he has to roll from side to side to do the equations. He added that he does not like to talk about it because it makes it worse. So I said lets drop it and get something to eat but of course I on line trying to get any help I can.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sounds like he may have a OCD.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:29 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• definitely an OCD behavior not a tic.......at tic is uncontrollable - you can't stop it even if you want to.....OCD is more of a compulsion to do something. He could try to day by day .........start to do it less and less......or try to replace it with a different 'habbit'.....just to get rid of the compulsion......although that other thing could then become a habbit. If it's just this one thing you could probably wipe it out relatively quickly.............but i would talk to him aobut any other obsession or compulsions he might be having and not telling anyone about.......IE - too much hand washing, having to humm certain things over and over......there are many types of habbit reversal therapies for OCD.....and many books out there that can walk you through them
    JustGail

Answer by JustGail at 9:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009