I Feel Like a Child and that Makes me Angry!

So, I am a grown woman I pay my bills on time, I have great credit, I saved my husband’s credit, I have been raising a well mannered happy daughter and I am plain and simply a grown woman. Well, I suggested to my husband that I would like a cat or kitten from the shelter, he literally before I finished my sentence said “NO!”, that really really irks me, I feel as though he is not leveling with me, and making decisions for me as though I’m a child. What would you do in my situation, do you think its right for him to be the deciding factor? Do you think that he is being overly controlling, I respect one of his reasons for not wanting a cat, but it is not even remotely close to being enough for me to just be told no… Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think that was pretty rude of him to just say no without even letting you finish. I assume hes not allergic, that I could understand. But just because he doesnt like them he should at least hear you out. I have an attitude though, I would go out and get one just cause he said no lol...dont do that though.
    I would be pretty annoyed yes. Try talking to him again.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:41 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• His attitude would be annoying to me, too. You deserve at least an explanation.

Answer by Bmat at 6:47 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• he is the one acting like a child. Adults have conversations and talk things thru.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 6:57 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Not his call. He needs to have a conversation with you so you can decide together. Also, who will be taking care of said cat? If it's not him, .....
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 7:01 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• OP here, I want to add that we have talked a little bit since he got home today(we are on a different time zone) and he was adamant in that he didn't want one, however I feel like the fact that he is home very little because of work and it would make me happy to have one that he should at least consider it. He will not be taking care of the cat at all maybe giving it food every now and then, he isn't home enough to take care of it, I do absolutely everything for my husband and I'm happy to, but I feel as though I'm not getting the credit I deserve and I feel like it's mostly my call considering I'm the caregiver and the one who is home and takes care of the house.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Wait. He's gone?

I'm all about being submissive...

but go get the cat. Good grief. Tell him that having one will make you feel better. Just do it. My husband felt the same way. I went and got one and we've been a halfway house for strays since. He doesn't mind at all now.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 7:15 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• OP here, He is gone at work for 16-20hrs a day, he is a doctor in training and attending college at the same time, he is always at work I get lonely... My daughter is great but I would like something that doesn't talk back LOL

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Just go and get the cat. He might just be fearing the unknown or thinks animals are expensive. My mom would just bring home a cat and my dad would become its favorite person.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 8:31 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I know what you are saying to be told flat out "NO" as if you are a child. You should be able to decide wheater or not to get a pet if you want that will be your responsibility.

I hate when that happens when my dh says no I start to complain sometimes I get my way sometimes I don't.. We should be our own person not somehow controlled. I mean we are good wives and mothers wtf? What more do these men want!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Unless he is allergic, a cat would show up in our home...soon. Love is a two way street, he has no right to bully you like that. If he wants you to take his feelings into consideration then he should afford you the same.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2009