Free Speech?

Some say that Free Speech should have limits. Some say no one should be "censored". Who is right?

Cass Sunstein? What do you know about him? Where does he stand on Free Speech?
Maybe these will enlighten you.
He Wrote
Democracy and the Problem of Free Speech
The Cost of Rights co wrote with Stephen Holmes
Free Markets and Social Justice
The Second Bill of Rights: Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Unfinished Revolution and Why We Need It More Than Ever
Radicals in Robes: Why Extreme Right-Wing Courts Are Wrong for America
If you would like to know who he is and where he stands read his books.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Nothing is Free in America anymore, not even our ammendments, rights or anything. And the government is taking away our Freedom one thing at a time, everyday! They are taking our rights and getting on tv, announcing all these issues, which are just cover ups to keep us focused on that topic and not what's really going on and whay they are actually trying to do.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:22 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• The First Amendment to the Constitution guarentees right to free speech. The Supreme Court has ruled that the only thing that limits free speech is something like yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, where you put people in great danger.
    Speech should not be censored or have limits, outside of putting others in danger. Like you can't say jokingly in an airport that you have a bomb. Outside of those very few restrictions, our country was founded on free speech and to limit that is unconstitutional.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 8:47 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• SophiaofLight is exactly right.

Sometimes I wish there were limits on free speech. For example, I can't stand to listen to the Westboro Baptist Church spew their hatred. But, because they have the right of free speech, they have the right to speak too.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:18 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• A person's rights end where another's begins. My stbx has filed a protection order against me based on things I wrote (strictly my opinions, no threats, etc) online. I never advertised I was writing these things to him; it was a way for me to vent to all of my friends and family. However, he went looking for problems and now he has found problems....problems for me. Was I right to make these comments? I have freedome of speech don't I? But because he was offended by something he went looking to find I'm facing losing my daughter, as well as my job.
    nikspineapple

Answer by nikspineapple at 9:57 AM on Aug. 27, 2009