What meals do you make for someone who has lost a loved one?

My cousin's dad passed away and I want to make her a dish for her and her family.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Comfort foods, lasagna, stew, fried chicken, chicken alfredo, etc. Always make enough for more than just the immediate family, someone may drop in unexpectedly at meal time.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 6:46 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• something that can be frozen if need be. They may not have much of an appitite right after the passing. I would try to drop off something 1X a week for 4 weeks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• A sliced ham and rolls is gratefully received. People can make sandwiches or not and freeze the rest if they want. Baked spaghetti or shells. Something that doesn't take effort. If it needs to be heated or baked be sure to tape the directions to it, and it is a good idea to also tape to it your name and address- it would help whoever is writing thank you's. Sometimes I've helped a bereaved family by having a notebook or piece of paper and recording food gifts and who gave them and their address, it makes thank you's much simpler.

Answer by Bmat at 7:09 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I forgot to mention that it also helps to put the food gift on a disposable plate or container so that the family doesn't need to wash and return the container.

Answer by Bmat at 7:10 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Anything that they can serve to extra people that might show up. Casseroles, lasagna, even a platter of lunch meat and sandwhich rolls. Something simple and easy that people can grab if/when they are hungry. I wouldn't worry about it too much - they will appreciate anything!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:31 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Since people seem to mostly bring over heavy comfort foods, it might be nice to bring over something that won't give you heartburn, make you retain water, or leave you constipated--like a fruit salad. People in mourning need fruits and veggies, too.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:10 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• One of the best thing we get when we lost Lannie's mom was not food but some one give us paper plates, paper bowls, napkins and lots of paper cups. It was so nice not to have to worry about dishes right then. My family always take Boston Baked Beans, sweet rolls and yest rolls or some fresh homemade bread.
    Alieda

Answer by Alieda at 10:07 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• When my mom died, my dad was inundated with food within the first few days... but a friend of mine waited about 2 weeks and brought over a batch of homemade chicken soup, it was perfect and the timing was great because all the well wishers had petererd out by then... just a thought. I'd do chicken soup, lasagna, that kind of thing. And if there are any instructions just put a post it on top, "bake at 350 for 30 mins" or whatever...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:35 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Something that they actually like. Seriously, I remember when my gramma died and people were bringing us all this food we never ate. Like ham and green bean soup, yeah gramma liked it but not the rest of us. Only one person who wasn't even related gave us something she knew wouldn't go to waste. She was our neighbor.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 11:51 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I agree with all that has been said! I also wanted to add that the BEST thing that someone brought to us when my dad died was NOT food. One of our friends ran to Costco and bought Paper plates, forks, napkins, cups etc!

You know, everyone brings food, but with all this food comes HAVING TO DO DISHES! Which is really something you don't want to have to do when someone dies. So my suggestion would be to do this. You can still bring something, but it really was a heaven send! Especially because like someone mentioned earlier.......lots of people drop by, you ask them to have something to eat because you have SO MUCH food and then you end up with extra dishes to wash.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2009