Schools weighing/measuring children for obesity

Just wondering how you feel about a school nurse (not your pediatrician) making an evaluation. The following is a paragraph from a news article for a particular state system

Last spring, state officials ordered public schools to begin weighing and measuring students so that they could calculate the children’s body mass index, widely known by the acronym BMI, a measurement used to determine whether someone is overweight.

auroragold

Asked by auroragold at 8:13 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This obeseity crap is way out of line, the government should had been taking precautious measures years before now. Now the kids have to suffer too! That's horrible what the schools are doing, and you don't have to weigh someone to tell if they are OBESE, you can just look and tell. Poor kids, and some people who are obeses have certain disesases or thyroid problems that's why they are that way, this world is horrible.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:17 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It doesn't bother me. They can say what they want... hey maybe it will help out an unhealthy kid. But really they have NO medical license so in the end what they say doesn't count. Now, that can be both a good and bad thing.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:18 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It's none of their business...that's between me, my child, and their doctor. And I don't think that BMI is very accurate anyway unless they use Hydrostatic Weighing or body fat scales and that requires not exercising 12 hours prior to it and no food or drink for 4 hours prior, then they should just leave that to the professionals.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It's the schools bullying these kids. Most that do it, don't do much to keep the information confidential. Instructions on how to destroy a girl's self-esteem:

1)Make her weigh in at school
    2)Do it somewhere that the next girl in line has a better than 50% chance to hear or see the result
    3)Watch her skip lunch for the next month regardless of what that number is

Bonus if she actually is overweight, meaning teased about it endlessly every day, and it's not only better than 50% that the next girl will see it, but basically guaranteed she'll tell everyone else what the number is.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:30 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It's none of the schools business. It should be left up to the Pediatrician and/or Parents only.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 8:30 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I would not be happy. That is my and my kids' Dr's buisness, not the schools.
    fairysurreale

Answer by fairysurreale at 8:31 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• back when I went to school they took our weight, height, checked for lice and check for soliosis every year in elementary and middle. I also have a huge problem with this. One: my oldest daughter is now 5'3" and 112 pounds. I got a letter home from school stating she lost 12 pounds from last school year. Telling me I should watch for an eating disorder. Yet last year when she was 5'2" and 124 pounds I was told she needed to lose weight according to the school nurse. So I sent a letter stating my daughter is now a vegetarian and also plays soccer and yes a weight loss was inevitable. Now as for my son. Since he was 5 he has been on meds that has a side effect of killing off fat cells. Every year I send signed doctor's notes that he's under their care for his pituitary condition that this is a side effect from it and yes he also gets bruising from his shots and also might have needle marks.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:32 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• When first dd was born we were on WIC. When I took her to the 2 month update for WIC the lady that worked there (not a nurse, just a gov't employee) said my dd was huge and should NOT be eating rice cereal, and that because of her weight and I was feeding her cereal, she was going to die in her sleep and and be a slow learner and have all kinds of mental problems because I was making her obese! It freaked me out! I went home in tears and called my pediatrician. (keep in mind she was born 6 weeks early and had been sent home with a monitor that would go off if she stopped breathing or her heart stopped, so I had already had rough time!) When the dr called me back she said dd was FINE and that since SHE was the one that told me too put dd on rice cereal that was fine, and to just tell the WIC people what they want to hear! Bottom line...NO ONE but your dr should be able to advise you or your child on weight

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:33 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• cont....

his lack of body fat and his bruises on his arm. every year I send a letter back letting them know to check his files that it's on his forms signed at the begginning of school and also letterheads from his doctors explaining all this. So I guess it's good they monitor it but they should be aware of their actions too.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:33 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• BMI is BS as far as I am concerned. Rarely does any one fit the "perfect mold" because of their different types of body. Having more muscle and bone mass can throw it off just the same as having less. Complete BS I say, complete BS.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:46 AM on Aug. 27, 2009