Make him stop chewing it or there goes more $$$

I broke the puppys foot almost 3 weeks ago...this is the 3rd splint that they've put on because I can't get him to stop chewing on it...I have the chew guard spray and he licks the nasty off until he can get back to chewing, I've put a sock over it...he goes to town with that...It has to stay on until 9/11 and if he chews it off again, there goes another $60 that I don't have. Ideas?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 8:14 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Pets

• He needs the lampshade collar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• "He needs the lampshade collar."

Duh, why didn't I think of that...LOL Thanks, sometimes the simplest answers can elude me.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:22 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• In addition to the cone collar give him a kong, fill it with peanut butter and freeze it. so he will have something else to do
    munchkinman

Answer by munchkinman at 8:40 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• get him and elizabethian collar from the vet. They only cost a few dollars and he won't be able to get to his foot.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• There are different flavors of bitter sprays to keep pets from chewing - bitter apple, orange, etc. Maybe you need to find a different non-toxic taste he dislikes. I agree, you should use the E-collar as well. Also ask if they will give you an empty fluids bag. Tape that over the splint. Helps to keep it dry and clean and buys you a few seconds to notice puppy is at it again.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 10:45 AM on Aug. 27, 2009