Is there something wrong with me or is the hubby just emotional????

Last night my daughter was choking on a noodle so I didn't really panic I just stuck my finger down her throat and got the noodle out. She cried for a couple minutes but she was okay. So I look over and my husband is crying, yes I said crying. Anyway I felt bad because I wasn't crying. He said he was just scared that he was going to lose her. I was right next to her while she was eating and she gagged for a whole 2 seconds. So am I a bad mother for not panicking or is my hubby just overreacting???

drs1206

Asked by drs1206 at 8:47 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope...mom's handle these things better.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:49 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Just my oppinion, but i think your husband is overracting. You are not a bad mommy. I think if you panicked it would have scared her more and she would have cried harder or longer. My DH overracts to almost everything when it comes to stuff like that. I try to stay calm in those situations because your children pick up on your emotions.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:51 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Not at all I had the same thing happen when my DD was about 8 or 9 months, she was choking on a piece of cardboard off a book he insisted on getting her and I just put her over my knee and tapped her back a couple times and it flew right out, DH wasnt crying but very disturbed, I think he did tear up and start holding her and wouldnt let her go for the rest of the night. And he kept glaring at me like I did something wrong because it didnt phase me really, especially after she was alright. I think the daddy daughter thing plays a part too.
    MotherHubbard78

Answer by MotherHubbard78 at 8:55 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• No, If you would have paniced, she might be dead right now. Mom's have to deal with things like this dads ususally don't. Not everyone handles thing the same way. At least you know your DH Loves his DD very much now.

Answer by louise2 at 8:56 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Umm to far with the crying. He is toooo emotional. I think you should be in control of all emergency situations, since you can keep your cool
    munchkinman

Answer by munchkinman at 8:57 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I try not to panic, but I do what I have to do in a situation, then I cry afterwards cause it acared the hell out of me. It probably scared him and he didn't want to see his child suffering. You did the right thing, good job mom.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:58 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Definitely not you. Men seem to have the corner stone on panicking about nothing when it concern's their kids.

I made the mistake of stating that I noticed our son wasn't growing as fast now that he is off the boob. Well my MIL calls me back the next day telling me he called her freaking out because our son stopped growing and he was going to be short.

Just take it with a grain of salt and try not to laugh at them when they do things like that. =)
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:28 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Nope, sounds like you reacted perfectly. How often have you seen this (in your child and others)? It's possible your husband just hasn't seen a baby gag like that before, so it scared him. I grew up baby sitting and working in day cares, so I never bat an eye with that. My daughter chocked on a cookie when I brought her to visit the office around 1 year. I jsut shoved my finger and moved on, but a pregnant co worker freaked. I guess she realized that one day, she'd be doing the same thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You are just fine. It is good to have a balance like that, though. My husband is the one who remains calm and I panic after the situation has been resolved.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:21 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i think you're fine. think about it. if BOTH of you had just sat there and cried, who'd have fished the noodle out? you're a mom. you responded like one. no shame. i've done it a couple of times. as moms, we just do what needs to be done.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 10:26 AM on Aug. 27, 2009