SAHM'S, What skills did your kids have entering Kindergarten?

I hear a lot about what % of kids have certain skills when entering kindergarten - for example, 50% are able to write their names, but I'm curious to know what the norm is for children of stay at home moms. Most sahm's I know place a lot of importance in their children's education, and having a lot of time with them, it seems they would have taught them a great deal before starting school. I would just like to get an idea of what skills most children of sahm's have when starting K.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• In our school they should:
    write their name
    know their colors
    know all upper and lower case letters
    know what sounds the letters make
    know what rhyming is and how to apply it
    know these site words: I, me, a, the
    be able to count to 20

That is a lot, but that is what we test in the first 2 weeks to put the kids in educational groups and work on skills.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I am a stay at home mom my little girl just started Pre k she has known how to write her name since she was 2 she knows her address her phone number to count to 20 (always skips 15) all colors shapes....I know you said starting K but this is what mine knows starting pre k hope it helps
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I cant remember because my youngest is only 3 1/2 but my oldest child didnt go to prek at all and she knew basically all that she needed to know. My second didnt know all of her sounds. My third didnt know all of his sounds and wasnt that great of a writer and my fourth, well, the verdict is still out on him. Kids develop at their own pace and lot of this stuff they pick up regardless of where theyre at all day long just out of sheer desire to learn. My kids dont know any more or less than a child whose been in daycare all their life. Also, they expect kids to come into K not knowing everything. That would defeat the purpose of kindergarten. They start out with letters and sounds and by christmas, they are blending and reading basic words such as cat, bat, sat, mat....ect. The handwriting thing comes slowly as well. I loved looking at all the kids writing on the wall in hallway. It was just a bunch of jumbled letters...LOL.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:40 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My oldest just turned 3 this month, so she hasn't started Kindergarten yet. But, by the age of 2 she knew all of her shapes (even octagon, pentagon, and trapezoid) and colors. And by the time she was 2 and a half, she was saying the alphabet and counting to 20. I now have her also able to add numbers 0 - 5. She also knows the phonic sound that goes with each letter of the alphabet and how to sign the alphabet in sign language.

Before she enters Kindergarten, I will make sure she can write her name and sound out simple words.

The truth is, getting her to this point wasn't much work at all. Her shapes and colors, I taught her with books during her naptime and bedtime routines. The alphabet I taught her by reciting it (not singing it) at every diaper change. I sign the alphabet and basic words every time I say them and she picked up sign language really fast. I just incorporate learning into her normal day.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:41 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My oldest just started K-5 this year. For a while she's known her full name, address, phone number, and birth date. She knows all of her letters and their sounds. She can count to 100. She can add and subtract small numbers. She knows all of her colors and shapes. She can sound out words. I can't even remember all of the stuff she knows.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 10:44 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My kids knew how to write their first names (in capital letters), count to at least 10 and knew their colors and shapes and that was about it for those kind of skills. My oldest could recognize most of the letters but didn't know the sounds. They did know how to sit still, listen to instructions and behave in a social setting.
    IMO that is what kindergarten is for. If I wanted to homeschool my kids then I would have. I send them to school to learn their letters and numbers, etc.
    My oldest was reading chapter books by the end of kindergarten (she was still 5). My other 2 didn't learn to read in kindergarten (it wasn't taught).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:21 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My oldest is just going to start kindergarten.

He can write his first and last name.
    He knows his address.
    He recognizes all his letters and sounds.
    ...recognizes numbers to 100 and can count to over 200.
    ...can count by 5's and 10's (not 2's though)
    ...recognizes basic shapes as well as trapezoid, parallelagram, pentagon, hexagon, octagon, rhombus, diamond (there is a difference), etc...he can also take 2 shapes and create another
    ...recognizes his basic colors and knows how to mix to make others, knows colors in a rainbow and that a prism splits white light into color components
    ...can do some addition and subtraction (up to 3 digits, but not carrying a number) and understands the basic concept of multiplication.
    ...understands the basic life cycle, basic principles of friction, basics of gravity and other science concepts

He's very advanced of his peers, however...he is not the "norm".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Some of what a child knows going into K is rooted in what they learned at home and/or preschool experiences prior to going. Some of it, though, is about developmental skills and has little to do with whether a mom was at home or not. Writing, for example, is *not* something every child can physically accomplish until they're school aged no matter who is with them and what emphasis they do. It's highly dependent on fine motor skills - something you can help develop but you can't teach.

Fwiw, I am home with my kids all but 2 days a week when they were w/ my parents while I work. My two entered K knowing how to read, how to add and subtract, colors, shapes, write their names, their address and phone number, and a slew of other things. We don't push. We don't do anything special other than provide them with opportunities to explore the things they're interested in exploring. Oh and we read A LOT.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• mine read at three, and read VERY well within months, he tested at third grade level.
    we're homeschoolers so he was doing "pre-math" stuff at three and four: patterns, one to one correspondence, shapes, positioning, comparing groups, sizes, identifying coins and their values, etc.
    he wrote a bit and and could write his name by four, but had no interest in drawing, so I took an unschooling approach and therefore he was not writing on his own in the K year until December, when he was suddenly ready and went from little writing and no interest in anything beyond scribbling to drawing robots and writing notes.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:25 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• my daughter can spell her first name, knows all her letters (upper and lower), and the sounds they make, knows her colours, and her shapes, can count to 20, (but doesnt always recognize them on paper.. 1-10 she knows, but not 11-20)

like a previous poster, the other stuff is what kindergarten is for..yaa i guess its cool that some kids can do all that other stuff..but once theyre in school they are gonna be so bored cuz they already know everything..i dunno, i would rather just yet my kid be a kid rather than scarff all this information into their heads while theyre home..but thats my opinion!! i also dont think school is like the most important thing in the world!! my daughter is highly involved in sports, swimming, dance, and soccer..which i think is very important..so ya, in my books, book smarts arent the most important thing..let kids be kids!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:15 AM on Aug. 28, 2009