My 3 year old is terrified of the potty, how do I let him know its ok?

My son fell in the potty at pre-school and has been terrified ever since. He is just now able to sit on his potty chair without crying!! We are trying every incentive in the book but I'm running out of ideas. I'm worried because he is now holding his BM all day at school and then as soon as we get home, he asks for a pull-up!!!

StacyD831

Asked by StacyD831 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I guess it really depends on what your son likes. :) Mine loves music, dancing and stickers. He was kinda scared too. What we did was get a lil radio, put it on the top of the toilet. We made up a potty dance and song while walking to the potty to make it exciting. When he was on the potty we would sing and dance to make him feel entertained and give him a stress free atmosphere. when he did go pee, we would turn on the radio and have a mini potty party! When he went poop we added stickers to the mix. If I was you, and I know this sounds mean, I wouldn't give him the pull up. bc he will learn that if he does not want to go potty, mommy will get me out of it. I hope I helped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Thanks for the tip. We have the potty part down as he can stand up for that portion. He is doing great with all but the sitting on the potty for the BM action. I'll try the radio, haven't done that yet!!! Thanks again
    StacyD831

Answer by StacyD831 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Does the preschool have the fold-up seat covers that make it so the kid CANT fall in? If not, ask them if you can give one to them (you can get them at some stores, and ebay and online stores for sure around $12 shipped). Get him one in a character he likes (they have SpongeBob and many others) and explain that he wont be able to fall in with this on the toilet and when he feels comfortable with it, you can get rid of it again.
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 10:04 AM on Aug. 27, 2009