Cub Scouts

My son started first grade this year which makes him old enough for cub scouts. being a women i dont know much about it. What do they do? How often do they meet? How much does it cost? What will he need.

4hens

Asked by 4hens at 9:37 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Personally, I would never allow my sons to join any organization that actively discriminates against portions of the population. I understand they do a lot of good in communities, but that hate and discrimination, IMO, outweighs all the good they do. Besides I can teach my boys all the same values on my own, thru other activities.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:12 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• What in the orld are you talking about? I have never heard of cubscouts discriminating, but then again I dont know anything about cub scouts which is why i am asking for the info. My son learns great values from me to believe me however i thought maybe getting to be with a group of boys would be fun for him.
    4hens

Answer by 4hens at 11:37 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Who do they discriminate against? Do you mean girls? That's crazy. I never was involved in cub scouts, but my daughter joined Daisy's (first year girls scouts) last year. They met every other week right at the school. They did crafts and went on a few small trips. She loved it and loved being involved in something. It wasn't very expensive. I'm sure you'll be getting all the information sent home soon.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Cub scouts is associated with boy scouts, who actively discriminates against homosexuals and atheists. My boys would never be allowed to join (even if I were to let them), because their father and I are both atheists, and we are not associated with any church. They are a private organization, and so can legally discriminate all they want, but I will not be supporting them in any way!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I am a new den mother and I strongly urge any parent to allow their son to join. Yes we do pray before meetings and some do not agree with that but your child does not have to pray if it is against your beliefs. But the Scouts are more about a childs personal growth and independence as well as forming friends. My Child has learned so many different activies, Camping, Archery, Plants, animals, Respect , Recyling,. I could go on but the bottom line is check out a meeting or two then decide.You may be surprised. Meetings are usually Twice a month, They do have campouts, cookouts, fund raising ect. So Expect to try and go to to these as well. This is also a bonding experience between you and your child because this is not a drop your kid off and go.Most meetings last for an hour, usually at the school.Good Luck
    kyndle

Answer by kyndle at 3:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Thanks Kyndle Im going to go and check it out i think. Is my2.5boys correct about not being allowed to join because of not being associated with any church? I am not an athiest however i dont go to church either.
    4hens

Answer by 4hens at 4:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I was also a Den Leader. We did not pray before meetings. Partly because we had boys of several religions, but it was not mentioned as a requirement. It was one of the best times of my life, which other den leaders had told me would be true. Be prepared to participate, it isn't like you pay money to the Y for classes and drop off the child, you actually take part. You attend meetings to learn what to do. I requested each family to arrange some kind of outing for our den. The parents had the den over for picnics, for swims, for bike rides, for boat trips, for tours of their businesses, campouts in the yard, it was great. We met once a week and worked on projects. We made a band - each boy brought whatever instrument they were playing in school, if no instrument then a triangle or sticks, etc, and we played at the Blue and Gold Banquet. It was a wonderful experience for me and for the boys and I highly recommend it.

Answer by Bmat at 9:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Our den meetings were at my house, which made it convenient for me. The child's religion or not was not a criterion for joining. There is community service, also. which is great for meeting people in the community and learning about community responsibility. It might be a good idea to observe what another mom does about den leading and then in the second year volunteer to take over. The meetings to learn are called Pow Wow's and meet about once a month. You meet other moms who are den leaders and learn about activities and ideas, they were fun. Cubs in this area could go to a summer day camp where they did archery, crafts, identifying trees and poisonous plants, and so forth, cooking on a campfire.

Answer by Bmat at 9:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My 7 yr old joined Daisys when she finally became the right age to join and loved it! She's going to do her 2nd year of brownie scouts this year. We only pay $4 a month for dues and it pays for the patches they earn too. She loves earning those try its and she gets to bond with her troop too. Plus they do a yearly around the world thing so they get to spend hours learning about different countries and tasting foods from there. I think you should put him in it and see how he feels about it. Some like it and others don't.
    Damali0812

Answer by Damali0812 at 7:07 AM on Sep. 8, 2009