walking

My 12 month old doesn't walk or even stand up yet. My doctor has said he is fine, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do with him to help him learn. I don't want to force him, just to help him along.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we bought a walker when he was 6 months and he used that alot... then there is this push waking thing not sure what its exactly called but basically he stands up and pushes it. He is about to turn 1 on the 21st of sept and hes just now walkigna little bit about 6 ft or so by himself. besides that just walk with him everywhere by just holding his hands and walking with him.
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Does he pull up on furniture yet? Make sure there are toys and sturdy furniture around that is a good height to pull himself up on, sit nearby and encourage him to walk to you. Hold his hands, then go to holding only 1 hand to get him to walk with you, clapping and praising him for walking.
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 10:08 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Not all 12 month olds will walk. My son walked at 15 months, and that was considered perfectly normal.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:33 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You could encourage him to walk between you and someone else. They think it's a game. Start out close then move further and further away. I know some moms carry their children everywhere so they don't have to walk. Don't carry him as much as possible. He will eventually walk though. I have a son with Down Syndrome and i had to wait 21/2 yrs. until he finally walked!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Aug. 27, 2009