How Many of you Really replace a car seat after an accident?

Ok seriously? If you are in a fender bender do you replace the car seat? Im not talking about a car totaling accident where everything is crushed up and dinged. Im talking about the average accident. Someone rear ends you at a stoplight. Someone side swipes you. No one is injured. Just shaken up. Do you really go out and by a new carseat?? What about all you ERF and stuff- you guys spend a fortune on carseats. You really gonna go out and buy a new one?

I was in an accident. Someone rear ended me and pushed me up into another car. I didnt even think about buying another car seat. Seriously? The car seat was fine. And I used it on my next kid too. Go ahead and bash!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/childps/ChildRestraints/ReUse/RestraintReUse.htm

It depends on the accident and if insurance will cover it. If it's minor, the NHTSA says it's not necessary if there's no apparent damange. See the link for full details. It's silly to run out and by a new car seat for a minor finder bender.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• The only accident I've been in was that I was turning out of a tight alley and sideswiped a telephone pole. It scratched up the side of my van. Nope. I didn't replace 3 carseats for that! If it had been a more major accident, really got a jolt, etc. I would have.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 9:52 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• yep I did. But the company I bought my carseat from replaced it for free. Oh it was a bad accident that did over 14000 worth of damage to our car alone.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• yes every time... my SIL backed into our car, we replaced both seats.... if you contact your insuranc company they have to replace them, no matter how minor the accident...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 10:00 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We've only been in one accident since we've had kids and we did replace the carseat. We were hit by a drunk driver going the wrong way on the interstate when my oldest was 6 months old. The driver's side of the car was a wreck. The passenger side looked perfect but the car was still totaled. The insurance company paid to replace the carseat. I have a friend who was in a minor accident and their insurance company said they only replace carseats if there is broken glass involved in the accident.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 10:18 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You do realize most of the time insurance companies will replace carseats.. right?

Call me a paranoid mom but even if i'm in the slightest accident regardless .. I am replacing my childs seat.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:22 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It would depend on the extent of the crash. If it's minor no. I'm talking someone rear ending me and my cup of pop didn't get knocked out of the holder type of minor. Now if it causes minor damage then yes I would. The insurance company would pay for it and even if they didn't then I would still do it.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:25 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• OP-

Thanx for the link :D My crash fits the criteria exactly even if it was a "jolt". I didnt think of replacing the car seat at the time. I mean it didnt even enter into my brain lol. Now people are bashing me because of it. I dont think my insurance company would have paid for it and it seems rediculous to go buy new seats if someone backs into you!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Well, I always call the manufacturer. My mom was rear ended on new years, she was at a stop light and the lady was doing about 40, my carseats were in her car, they were replaced. We rear ended someone doing about 3mph at a redlight, and no, I didnt replace the seats. It all depends. But I called the manufacturer both times and followed their guidelines. Had they told me I needed to replace them after the 3mph crash, I absolutely would've done it. Infact, Im using that as an excuse to buy new seats in a few months with hubby. lol.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 27, 2009