How do I deal with a child who wakes up miserable every day?

I have a three year old daughter who seems to wake up in a bad mood almost every day. She gets up and immediately begins whining. For example, this morning she woke up and said "Mama, I'm hungry." So I said "Alright. Let's get you some breakfast then." So she requested yogurt. She picked some vanilla yogurt out and we sat at the table. Before I got a chance to open it, she starts screaming that she wants strawberry. So I tell her to calm down and ask for strawberry nicely and I'll get it for her. She does so I go get it. Then I open it and she immediately starts screaming that she wanted vanilla. I tell her "If you aren't going to eat it then get down from the table and I'll eat it because I don't want it to go to waste. She flips out and cries for about 20 minutes and then just eats it. It REALLY tries my nerves to start every day like that. What can I do to deal with her whining? Lately it's been an all day thing. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Its the 3 and 4 yo attitude, thats my advice LOL. You have to find what works for you to deal with it and TRY to keep the stress level down..its HARD. My son has been in that attitude since around 3.5 and hes now 2 mos past 4! It gets worse before it gets better, hate to tell ya. The way I would have dealt with that situation after you got her the straw. and she still whined and requested the previous one would have been to send her straight to her room for a few minutes and then when you call her back down, ask why she was sent to her room and tell her she needs to ask nicely, not throw a fit like that, and she cannot keep changing her mind about the flavors. Eat the strawberry I gave you or nothing at all. GLuck.
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 10:02 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• To be honest, that doesn't sound so bad because she does go ahead and eat. I think you should just try to stay cool and have an pleasant outlook, so she will learn from you how to behave in the morning. When my 3 year old DD seems confused about choices I just offer them until she makes a firm choice. In that situation I would say "do you want vanilla or strawberry" until I could tell that she really made up her mind. Sometimes she gives me an answer and I can tell she hasn't really made up her mind even though she has said a choice.

Since she's immediately saying she's hungry, then I think her morning crankiness is directly related to low blood sugar. Maybe have a snack ready first thing when she wakes that she will always eat. For my DD that would be peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a piece of cheddar cheese.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:03 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I used have the same problem with my 3.5 year old. He is not a morning person. We have a routine that works for us now. He gets a nigh night snack every night before bed. I make sure he is getting enough good sleep. In the morning we cuddle for 10 minutes when he first wakes up with a small cup of milk. Then we decide what we want for breakfast. I try to make sure we never have to get up and go, it never turns out well. I would just say try to make it as relaxing as possible in the morning.
    ilovemymookey

Answer by ilovemymookey at 10:30 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• This is going to sound TOTALLY CRAZY but it works. My kids and I all have issues with our blood sugar. Before we have eaten we are all totally cranky. I have jelly beans or starburst on my counter. My kids get four jelly beans or 1 starburst first thing in the morning.
    (I would tell her she can't have it if she is whiney though)
    I know this is not a good habit to be in, but until you can regulate the blood sugar through diet it can be a short term remedy.
    We also eat a balanced snack before bed.
    1 graham cracker with peanut butter and milk or
    half a banana with cheese and milk
    SNACKS BEFORE BED FOR GROWING KIDS ARE IMPORTANT.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Low blood sugar is a bitch, hon.

Age of irrationality + early morning = pissy feels

Make yourself some food and let her have some... I just got to the point where I was like whatever kiddo, she'd ask for some of mine and would eventually clean up the plate. I'd just make myself more and eat {on the sly} later. Many screams averted.
    Hope this helps!
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 4:48 AM on Sep. 3, 2009