I NEED HELP REALLY BAD!!

MY KIDS FATHER HASN'T BEEN IN THERE LIFE FOR 7 YEARS NO CHILD SUPPORT OR ANYTHING. WE ARE STILL LEGALLY MARRIED, BUT HAVE BEEN SEPERATED FOR 7 1/2 YRS. HE RECENTLY CAME AROUND. I HAVE TRIED TO FILE FOR DIVORCE, BUT COULDN'T GET HIS ADDRESS. WELL HE CALLED ME 3 DAYS AGO AND TOLD ME HE WAS GOING TO FILE UNCONTESTED DIVORCE WITH CHILDREN. THEN I CALLED HIM THE NEXT DAY AND ASKED HIM IF THE KIDS DIDN'T WANT TO GO TO HIS HOUSE ON HIS WEEKENDS WAS HE GOING TO MAKE THEM HE SAID YES, THEN I ASKED HIM IF I DIED AND THE KIDS WAS STILL MINORS WOULD HE LET THEM LIVE WITH MY BOYFRIEND THE GUY MY KIDS CALL DAD FOR THE PAST 7 YRS. HE SAID NO HE WOULD MAKE THEM COME LIVE WITH HIM. SO I TOLD HIM THAT I WOULD SIGN THE CONTESTED AND I WOULD I FIGHT AND JUST TAKE HIS PARENTAL RIGHTS AWAY SO MY KIDS WILL BE SAFE AFTER I'M GONE. MY KIDS ARE 13, AND 15. THEY SAID THEY DON'T WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH HIM NOW. SO DO I TAKE HIS PARENTAL RIGHTS AWAY?HELP

okc-mom-2

Asked by okc-mom-2 at 9:52 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• The best thing to to is talk to a lawyer about this matter.

Answer by louise2 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• hell yes i would! its what you feel comfortable with for your kids. I'm afraid that if I die my child will get left with my husband. He's not mature enough to raise them alone. I want my mom and dad to get them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• at 13 and 15 the judge will ask for their imput on how they feel about their dad and he will take in into consideration im not saying he wont make them go put he'll know how they feel about him and maybe if dad heard it he will drop it
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:30 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Check with a lawyer. I'm thinking that after 12 the children have a say in if they want to go to visitation or not with noncustodial parents. Also I think they can have a say in where they want to live in the case of a death of a parent.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:36 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Im sure once a judge hears how he abandoned you for the last 7 plus yrs (and the kids) that he wont have too many "rights" per say. You really need to get a lawyer and tell him/her all of everything. Also, your kids are old enough to tell a judge or the courts how it has been for the last 7 yrs. They are also old enough to pick who they want to live with. I would think, after "dad" has been gone for so long that the kids arent even comfortable around him. Im sure all will be fine, and good luck!
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2009