Why don't my in-laws accept my older daughter from another relationship?

msjill727

Asked by msjill727 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• Possibly because they don't have any actual biological relation to her? I hope they aren't mean to her, or exclude her in a way that's obvious to her, as that could be hurtful to her. On the other hand, I do think it's hard for a lot--maybe even most--people to feel as close to non-biological family relations as they do their own flesh and blood. My brother's wife has a son from her previous marriage, and I freely admit I don't feel the same connection with him as I do with my brother's child biological child he has with his wife. It may sound awful, but it's honest. I would never be cruel to her son though--he's certainly always invited to the family get-togethers and holiday events of course.
    You might try posting this in the "relationships" category for more answers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I can't tell you why they do this, but I will say that that isn't fair to you or your daughter. My SO's mother considers my son (from a previous relationship) as her grandson. He calls her tay-tay (tracy); and they both love one another. I would try to talk to your DH/So about this, or possibly your in-laws.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 10:04 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• because they are probably total as@holes like my in-laws. my inlaws will let my hubbys son do whatever he wants to and then jumps my son for little stuff he does that is no big deal. I told them that if they cant treat all my kids the same then i will see to them never seeing any of them. And the kicker to it all is that everyone knows that he is not my hubbys bio son but they wont accept that and treat my son like crap. Im tired of my son asking why my inlaws dont like him, its bs. If i were you i would tell them to treat them all the same or they dont need to be around any of them, but thats my opinion.
    cobysmom151

Answer by cobysmom151 at 3:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009