I know it sounds horrible but right now I really don't like my daughter.

She is 11 and acts like a spoiled brat (tells people I don't buy her enough stuff ect..). Today I found out some things she has been telling her friend about me and it hurt me so much. When I try to talk to her she just stands there like I am some kind of monster or something.What do I do? Is this normal for her age? If not what am I doing so wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• IT'S JUST KIDS. MY SON WHO IS 15 IS A TOTAL BRAT. MY MOTHER HAS SPOILED HIM ROTTEN. NOW HE EXPECTS EVERYONE TO GIVE HIM WHAT EVER HE WANTS. I NOW MAKE HIM WORK FOR HIS MONEY. SO HE CAN SEE THE VALUE OF MONEY. GL
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It's normal, and no you aren't wrong. I dont' always like my kids, it's ok. We dont' HAVE to like them all the time, sometimes they aren't likable
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:21 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• As my parents used to tell me "We love you but we don't like your attitude".. I haven't hit the pre-teen years yet with my own child but I remember being 11 and thinking my parents were the worst because I couldn't get what I wanted when I wanted. Unfortunately what your daughter is doing is normal hopefully she will outgrow it soon. Sorry she is hurting your feelings with the things she is saying! looking back I wish I knew then what I know now and realized just how much I put my parents through.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:26 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We aren't at the stage but my sil has a 13 year old daughter. She is the same way and they used to be really close.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• teens and their raging hormones! i also wish i knew then what i know now. i feel really bad for what i put my parents through and it doesn't help that i have "only child syndrome" ~lol. try finding a way to make her see that some kids don't even have food or shelter and maybe she'll straighten out a bit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• At 11 I'm sure that hormones are kicking in, and sometimes I feel like you do with my 9 year-old. You always love your child, but sometimes you just don't like how they act. I am so happy that she went back to school this week, we were arguing every day for the past three weeks about God knows what. I've found that being honest with my daughter and telling her, hey you really hurt my feelings works. I think when they realize that mom isn't just mom, but a person with feelings they kind of change their perspective.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 12:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Shes being 11 it's not really you she hates :) please don't take all this drama your little queen is trying to give you to heart ~ it wouldn't matter if you gave her a black am.express card she'd still be pissed about something lol...her hair her body her friends nobody understands on & on & on :) just love her it will pass!! wait till she's 16 oh there sooooo sweet .....i'm not making fun of this but just older been there done that.. you'll make it thru...
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• 11 is too young to take seriously. She sees what she has and is lured by the siren call of consumerism... anything that doesn't yield to her almighty will is going to be railed against.

I can't get hurt over my older 2 talking about me, that's what kids will do. They neither know enough, nor understand the world to have a place to offend me.
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 12:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I have a 21 year old daughter and she has a major attitude always has. She say's things to hurt my feelings all the time. She acts like she is the mother and I am the child. I have learned to just ignore her and walk away. I will tell you, I wish I had been harder on her when she was younger. Don't let your daughter get away with the attitude, it will get worse. I wish I had taken things away and said no more. Good Luck!
    MyCandleGirl

Answer by MyCandleGirl at 7:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• From about age 12 to 15 I was a horrible brat. It didn't help that I was suffering from severe depression. I'm pretty sure my mom didn't like me during those times. Of course she loved me, but didn't like me. Its totally normal, and not horrible at all. You still love her, but right now she's hurt you and you need time to recover from that. Don't feel bad! And be patient, in most cases it does end. Try sitting down for a mother daughter talk, maybe there is something behind all this she needs to get out. Just hold on, it will get better! My mom and I are really close now. WE still have our differences of course, but the love is there!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 7:57 AM on Aug. 28, 2009