White Trash/Ghetto is it one in the same?

I heard a woman today call someone white trash and I was so shocked, she was pissed off with this chick to say the least. Since living in the south I hear things I've never heard before. I was raised in Denver and people just don't talk like that.

grandmasix

Asked by grandmasix at 10:00 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well I grew up on the Midwest and where I lived ghetto was more of an urban term, where PWT was basically the small town folk that were trashy (not all small town people, just the trash). I live in Denver now and we use the term PWT all the time for some of the rednecks that come in for the National Western stock show. Though when I worked in an ER here many of the people I worked with were black and we kind of differentiated between white trash and black trash by using ghetto only for blacks and using PWT for whites. I know that's awful but it was very frustrating working there at times and using labels (not to their faces) was a stress release basically.. Some of the people that would come in were so awful and rude and nasty... in other words they were just plain trashy

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• To some, both the "white trash" and "ghetto" stereotype are looked at as living poorly and/or without manners. So I guess I would agree that its in the same boat.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:04 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It is very childish to use either of those terms and I would be embarassed to know anyone who has to express themselves that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Actually, they are about as different as night and day. Ghetto and redneck though have a very thin line between them, which I always seem to be treading as I was a redneck, but now live in the ghetto. I blend in real well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Oh and "white trash" requires a "trailer park" which is something you hard pressed to find in a ghetto.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Anon :10, I cannot argue that theyre different.. they most definitely are. They have different lifestyles, act different, talk differently.. however like I said before, since both stereotypes are looked at as living "poorly" or have "lack of manners" by some, I can see how it could be in the same category.

I honestly think both terms are degrading. I dont like the stereotypes used and i'm not trying to judge these people.. just talking on what ive heard from others and what the stereotypes imply.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:14 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I agree with you on the poor and degrading part. That is what pretty much all stereotypes are meant to denote. =) ~previous anon, btw.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I always thought that ghetto = black and white trash/redneck = white...
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 10:23 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• OP, I know what you are talking about. I grew up in Montana and then lived in southern California for a while and not until I moved to Florida did I hear someone call a white person a cracker and 'white bread'. I actually thought it was sort of funny, even after I found out it was an insult. I just don't get it.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:34 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• it is and it isn't. you cant call an AA person "white trash" but you can call a white person "ghetto" because there are whites who live in the ghetto.
    it always bothered me that someone would refer to a white person as white trash as an insult because that only leaves the door open to believe that all whites should never be trash? and other races are trash just because of the race? nobody says hispanic trash or black trash, does that mean at some point white people thought just because they weren't white they were automatically "trash" anyway. makes no sense to put the qualifier " white " in front of trash. a person is either trash or not regardless of their race simply by how they conduct their lives. and ghetto can be applied to anyone who lives in a ghetto or lives that stereotypical lifestyle all the time.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:44 AM on Aug. 27, 2009