When to start drinking whole milk?

I was just wondering how other mothers started their 1 year old on milk? My son will be 1 in 3 weeks and i've heard different ways to do this. Just completely stop formula and start milk when he turns 1 and i've also heard to start mixing half formula and half milk so by the time hes 1 he can just drink milk. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i mixed formula with milk to get his tummy used to it and him used to tthe taste
    try it today :)
    i just made a smaleer amount of formula and mixed milk in after, and slowly increased the amount of milk and decreased the amount of formula in the mix
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I started mixing milk & formula around 11 months old and did just as mommymeg said just slowly decreased the amount of formula I gave him at a time.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:11 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I started both my kids on whole milk when they were 1 year old. I just did it little bits at a time and I would also warm it up a bit, so the cold wouldn't be such a shock to their tummy's
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:15 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• When my son turned 1 and 1 week his doctor recommended to switch to whole milk. The first days i mixed 1/2 formula and 1/2 milk. Just warm it up a bit.
    dormilona

Answer by dormilona at 10:21 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We started at 9 months with 2% per our pediatrician (they were on all table foods and eating a varied diet, there was no need for formula any longer). We just made the switch.

If they have a sensitive stomach or won't take the milk, then mix it. But otherwise, there really isn't a reason to mix formula and milk.

I also had them already drinking cold formula so it wasn't much of a switch to them.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:09 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• With my first we just switched directly to cow milk. It was a bad idea, he had diahhrea and didn't do so good for the first week or two. I would mix formula with milk about half and half for the first week after he is 1 or so and gradually increase the milk every day until that is all it is so his tummy can get used to it. I hope he takes whatever you end up doing well! :)
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 11:22 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My son will be 1 in three weeks also, just this week I started to do 2 ounces milk, 6 ounces formula. Then at the next feeding I incresed the milk and decreased the formula until he was on all milk. So far, so good, he has had no problems at all. Good luck!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 11:30 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You could start now, or wait until his birthday. I started mixing 1/4 milk 3/4 formula in the bottle for a few days. Then 1/2 and 1/2 for a few days. Then 3/4 milk 1/4 formula for a few days. Then whole milk only. I never had any problems. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:44 AM on Aug. 27, 2009