Is damn a bad word?

I know it is probably better than the F word or the A word. But about where does it fall on the scale when a 2 year old says it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• A two year old, or even a 12 year old for that matter, should not be using that kind of language.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:10 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It's not something I would say around my daughter , but it's definitely not among the worst things you can say around them.

Personally, though - there is a lot I wouldn't say infront of my daughter that wouldn't be classified as bad words.

For example - some toddlers go around saying things or people are "stupid" because they hear their parents say that - I really don't like to hear toddlers say that kind of thing.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 10:11 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't consider it a "good" word for even adults...you cannot rank profanity for toddlers! They should not know those words or ever hear them!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• in my house it is a bad word, but we have a lot of bad words others would think aren't. We don't use crap, sucks, stupid, shut up, duh, or slang words like that. When my son was young, like two, we just said it was a bad word. But now that he is 7 we explain it to him that it may not be a really bad word, and people use them, but there are more appropriate words we can use to in their place.

personally, and i know this may sound judgemental, but when i hear a young child using the word "damn", or any curse words, it appals me. I think to myself "what else do they allow?" I never say anything b/c i know it's not my place, but i can't help the thoughts that go through my head.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't think anyone should ever use a word if they don't know what it means and toddler's shouldn't be taught these words to begin with. I had a foul mouth for years. When my three yr old repeated my bad words I asked him to help me stop. I corrected him and he helped me stop. For the most part if I hear my grandkids saying a "bad" word I try to find another word that sounds similar that is acceptable. For example, the "F' word. If a grandkid says that I say TRUCK? You want to play with a TRUCK? ok, let's play with a TRUCK. Go get the TRUCK and we'll play. The point is to say the acceptable word at least 3 times bc they say after hearing something 3 times they will remember it. The point is to retrain his brain to use an acceptable word. Now, back to "damn". It really refers to being worthless such as in the saying "I don't give a tinker's damn" where it originated. TD was something they plugged up a hole in a pan with.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:55 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I can't believe you need to ask this question. This is not a word for a child, especially a two year old, to be using.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I know what you mean it's just like the word "as' or "but" my kids question me when I use it I am like not that kind of a word, I say just keep going to school and learn soon you will know the differnce...but don't be using it for dumb reasons!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Aug. 27, 2009