I need advice on how to get over my guilt of divorcing my husband and starting a new relationship w/a new partner?

After being divorced for 18 months, I have found a wonderful friend. He enjoys line dancing, camping, floating and he is very active and loves working out as well. So what is the problem I ask myself. I still feel so guilty for leaving my husband knowing that he will not try to find someone else, that I can not take my new relationship to the next step. How do I get over feeling guilty? That my ex will be alone the rest of his life.

lovetodance003

Asked by lovetodance003 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• That sucks that you feel guilty. Remind yourself of ALL his bad attributes. I don't understand your guilt. The second i left my husband, the guilt flew out the window. I have never been so happy since i left him.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:23 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Well, he will only be alone for the rest of his life if he chooses to be alone for the rest of his life. That is not your fault. You were unhappy, you did what you needed to do to change that. You've moved on; it's his choice whether he does or not. Why should you live the way he does? You divorced him so you could find happiness. So find it. You have a wonderful guy, if you feel it's time to move to another level, then do it. Don't let your ex rob you of this; if you do, then you should have just stayed married to him, since you'll be just as happy or unhappy as you were when you were with him.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:32 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Why did you leave him? For another person? Or bc he has things about him you can't live with? The fact is, if you're not with him, you're just going to have to accept the fact that he's alone. It makes you feel bad, but ..what do you do? Get back with him? Doesn't sound like you want to..
    ashleybgarcia

Answer by ashleybgarcia at 10:57 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Maybe he's ok with being alone. It's not so bad. I was thrilled when my x found someone else bc I like being alone. Your guilt might be wasted energy! He might be as happy as a lark. I'm sure he'd want you happy as well. Get on with your life. Let him live his.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:15 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You have to understand that your marriage is over. And if he chooses to sit there and sulk and not move on with his life that is his problem not yours. You should have no guilt unless you want to be back with him and you feel bad for leaving him for no reason.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2009